New to the forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickman2342

Reaction score
I've been given a whole host of homebrew equipment, 5 demi johns, 2 large fermentation buckets and other bits and bobs, from an elderly neighbour of mine who has been brewing his own for quite some time.

Most of it is quite old and probably no good for using anymore, however what is interesting is the amount of his own old recipies some typed up on a typewriter and also handwritten ones and very old books with other types of recipes in.

I have also won some brewing equipment off of eBay and collected this today, 2 demi johns a handful of bottles, 2 air locks, and a hydrometer

Im looking possibly to make up just one demi john batch this weekend using fruit juice, can anyone recommend a good 48hour turbo yeast to use and guide me in the right direction so as not to make a hash of my first batch

Thanks

Hi and welcome, can't help with the yeast question as I'm strictly a beer brewer. Sure someone will help soon

Don't use a 48hr yeast, they're designed for people doing sugar washes and filtering through carbon. Get a proper wine yeast, read the HowTo on WOW or the threads on Fruit Teabag Wine (excellent entry level stuff, pretty cheap, pretty easy, and very drinkable when very young), and accept from the start that anything good takes _at_least_ 6 weeks before it gets near your mouth.

Most of the old guy's stuff is probably OK. The big FVs might have scratches that could harbour bacteria, but then again they could be fine. Ask him how long it is since he used them and if it went OK. He has years of knowledge in his head, get him to share it. When looking at his older recipes, bear in mind they're likely to be be a bit heavy on the sugar - 1 to 1.3kg is normal for a gallon of wine these days.

Try something like:
20 fruit teabags of a flavour that appeals to you, infused 30 minutes in 2 pints freshly boiled water in a big pan.
Chop about half a pound (225g) of raisins, add to pan with 1kg sugar, short tsp tannin, 1 pint boiled water, bring back to boil.
All except the bags go to fermenting bucket with 2l red grape juice, 1tsp acid (a mix if you have it, juice of a lemon will do) and 1 tsp nutrient
Cool to pitch temp, pitch yeast
After about 5 days, sieve to demi, top up
Rack when clear (or nearly)
Stabilise, de-gas, rack, bottle, etc, when done (or you can't wait anymore)
You'll get a sneak taste off your siphon. If it's good, start drinkiing; if it's a bit sharp or bitter, give it a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back