First post for help with my first brew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertsIPA

Reaction score
Evening all.

New to the home brewing hobby - but have my first brew fermenting at the moment. However...after what appear to be a successful mash (apart from a sparge arm that refused to rotate...) and a prodigious initial krausen - it's all gone a bit flat.

The FV is still producing CO2, as the lid is regularly 'doming' (I've elected to keep the lid on in the absence of anything resembling a foam head). I roused the FV 48 hrs after pitching the yeast (I was away the 2nd night) to no effect, so pitched a 2nd batch of rehydrated Safale S-04 at approx the 96 hrs point. Still nothing like the first nights eruption.

I moved the FV into the airing cupboard this Wed - but the increased temp hasn't oden the job either. Any thoughts advice much appreciated.

Roberts the IPA

Hi and welcome. Have you taken a gravity reading, it's the only way you will know what's happening. It's not unusual for a yeast to go mad for the first few days then continue working at a slower pace for the rest of the ferment.

Many brews will ferment with little to no krausen , the foam only means a certain part has done but not the all process . You need to leave the brew around 10 days then do a hydrometer test 3 days in a row if no change and it's below 1018 it'll be ready to bottle.
What was your starting gravity and at what temp are you fermenting at , when did you start fermenting .
Out of interest what was your mash temps and rest times too .
Sounds like all's well to me , maybe a little yeasty due to 2nd lot added but no big deal.

Welcome on board :thumb: Pittsy's nailed it but if the ale is a 'standard ale' (up to 1.050 for eg) you may still well have a way to go from 1.018, I think that's a bit high as a finishing gravity (depending on type of beer).

All,

Thanks for your hints and tips. Think I was being too eager (it was my first attempt after all!). 2nd brew approaching third week conditioning, and this time I let the yeast do the work and got to FG (1011) without adding second batch of yeast.

3rd mash scheduled for this weekend to create a Christmas tipple.

Great hobby (though wife fed up of me spending so much time in the garage...). Why it took me so long to take it up having been brought up in a fine country pub I'll never know!

Cheers!

Back