Is sweet cider a 'modern thing'?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Do all the old traditional cider recipes end up with a dry strong cider? Or were there some that produced a sweet one?

From my very limited experience yeast seems to like sugar so will keep going till either all the sugar is used up, or the alcohol tolerance of the yeast is met. There is talk on here of back sweetening using chemicals developed in the 1940's, or stopping the ferment early - again using chemicals developed around the same time. So does that mean sweet ciders didn't exist before this time?

The other alternative is to either drink it young when not fully fermented, or find a low alcohol tolerance yeast, that will give up leaving some sugars unfermented.

Are there any low alcohol tolerance yeasts out there I can use to make a sweet cider without adding extra chemicals?

I know of no way to brew and naturally carbonate a cider brew without fermenting out all of the natural sugars.
Nor do I know of any way of sweetening cider for storage without using artificial sweeteners and/or stabilizers
Fortunately, you don't need to.
Brew your cider out dry - mature to taste either flat or sparkling - sweeten to taste with either apple juice or sugar syrup at the point of pouring.

Okay let's try to be logical about this, Cider used to be fermented (going back and back) with wild yeasts. Many wild yeasts have low alcohol tolerance, and perhaps would not ferment out all of the sugars. it might have worked to give a sweet cider one year and a dry one the next but trying to control that would probably end in a vinegary Lambic Cider. Not a great idea I would suggest. So I would go with the above suggestion ferment out and sweeten later. I suppose you could try to find a low tolerance yeast but I would be chary of the lack of control

Latest posts

Back