Cider yeast... Totally necessary?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Might make a couple of DJs of cider, but I haven't got any cider yeast. I have got ale yeast and I've also got some wine yeast. Are any of these any good or should I actually get proper cider yeast? Also, I've got some pectolase, do I add that at the start? Do I need owt else?

I've used everything from cheap "beer yeast" to proper cider yeast and even wine yeast, to be honest I think the cider yeast was the best but only marginally. Add the pectolase at the beginning.

I've used everything from cheap "beer yeast" to proper cider yeast and even wine yeast, to be honest I think the cider yeast was the best but only marginally. Add the pectolase at the beginning.

Cheers Andy, i'll call into Leyland and pick up some cider yeast then. I think the only one they have is Youngs 5g sachets. Would one sachet do 2 DJs or would I need 2 sachets?

I have in the very distant past just used the wild yeast but as my knowledge increased I now that I was lucky. Last year I used only cider yeast and I'm not that happy. Cider yeast has a lower resistance to alcohol than wine yeast and as in the past I've used wine yeast (Gervins from Wilko) I will revert to this this year.
Pete

I've only used Youngs wine yeast compound so far and seemed to work well. Cleared without any problems so not sure pectolase is needed unless it is cloudy to start with. If your apple juice is clear - what is it for?

I was offered champagne yeast for cider but not tried it yet. Standard stuff seemed to make it bubbly enough. :)

Have done a few Turbo's and used Ritchies sparkling wine yeast each time. Cider came out really nice and clear and the yeast was hard on the deck, but all very dry. Have been told to use ale yeast in the future to conquer some of the dryness.
I think i have a packet of Ritchies somehere if you want to try it-let me know:)

According to this chap, if you're buying the cheapest 100% juice, Coopers yeast. I've brewed TC with Coopers yeast and it was very nice as was the tropical fruit punch I've done with Coopers yeast. One sachet per 8L brew on both TC and TFP.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZ5Y3z5Dfg[/ame]

Latest posts

Back