No bubble in airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
Ok...so iv got 3 wines on the go, all in different containers 2 are bubbling in a the airlock the one in the white bucket isn't, but wen I open the lid and look inside I can see tiny bubbles. They wer all made at same time, could it be that it's not a clear bucket?????

DSC_0002.jpg

As Brew says its probably not 100% airtight, put your ear to the side of the FV if its fermenting you will be able to hear it.

Leave it as is, just rack it as normal once fermentation has finished. A couple of other tips, don't fill up the demijohn as much, only top it up after fermentation has slowed or ended, this helps prevent the overflowing you are having. also replace the bunged up airlock on the demijohn with a clean one, you don't want to attract flies and possible contamination.

So will it be OK or should I transfer it to another bottle

It'll be fine. I know plenty of people who do wine with just the lid loose on the top. CO2 provides a blanket over the wine as it's heavier (more dense) than room air, so it is protected.

Back