musty turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

078devitt

Reaction score
I have made some turbo cider from 13l tesco apple juice, desert wine yeast, 1kg of normal sugar & 7 tea bags for tanning.

Fermentation come to a end and it has come out about 8%, I have tasted it today and it is nice but has a very strong aftertaste of must/foistyness.

Can someone please advise what I have done wrong as i havr made it before with the addition of pectolose and tanning and it was ok and is it still drinkable? I do plan to bottle it and let the fizz appear.

Did you use exactly the same ingredients and yeast last time ?

How come you don't use cider yeast ?

7 tea bags seems like a lot compared with 5 I use per 25L, to add tannins... but if you usually use that many it can't be that (unless a different brand of tea?)

Did you use exactly the same ingredients and yeast last time ?

How come you don't use cider yeast ?

7 tea bags seems like a lot compared with 5 I use per 25L, to add tannins... but if you usually use that many it can't be that (unless a different brand of tea?)

Thanks for the reply!:thumb:

No i tried to go a bit more natural this time as last time i used pectolose, ale yeast from wilko, wine tanning, caster sugar & sainsburys apple juice from concentrate.

I havnt used cider yeast because i dont like very dry cider what i have read comes from using cider yeast, maybe i need to try some and backsweeten a bit more... :doh:

Thanks for the reply!:thumb:

No i tried to go a bit more natural this time as last time i used pectolose, ale yeast from wilko, wine tanning, caster sugar & sainsburys apple juice from concentrate.

I havnt used cider yeast because i dont like very dry cider what i have read comes from using cider yeast, maybe i need to try some and backsweeten a bit more... :doh:

try some ec-1118 , its champange yeast that will is very tolerant to a wide range of tempratures and can pump out up to 18%abv with your brew :D

Latest posts

Back