First WOW after a few years!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the header says, first gallon of traditional WOW:

1Ltr cheap Orange Juice
1Ltr White Grape Juice
750g Granulated Sugar
1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/2tsp Tannin
1tsp Pectic Enzyme
1tsp Glycerine

I was a bit optimistic with the yeast it was 4 years out of date (!) and no sign of action overnight. New yeast purchased in the morning and this kicked off within 30 minutes. So should work well. This is just a trial run after a few years inactivitiy - planning a 5 gallon batch to replenish my wine rack.

Welcome back. :cheers:

As you say "First WOW after a few years" i assume you are a fan of the original Wurzels Orange Wine, i must admit it is probably our least favourite but we all have different tastes, have you tried any other versions?

Where did you get the white grape juice, members have been reporting for many months its easier to find rocking horse s**t than WGJ in the supermarkets.

If you haven't already seen it there is a huge WOW thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

WGJ bought from Waitrose, not cheap £1.60! I have only done the tradional white WOW and a red/rose variant.
First priority is to fill up my cellar ahead of the autumn and winter months. Will check out the thread.
Have been doing beer on and off over the past few years.

Welcome back.

Was checking out the grape juice and other juices today at my local Sainsbury's, also need to replenish stocks.

I looked in Holland and barret at the weird and wonderful dried fruits they have, thinking I can plop a few in the demi.

Trouble was when I noticed the prices!

WB, at £1.60 per litre for WGJ that isn't to bad, 6 bottles from a basic WoW at that price is probably gonna work out at no more than 75p per bottle, which is pretty good for a night in or a BYOB(s) out.

Fermentation has been quite vigorous and luckily I only filled to below the lower neck, it's been foaming nearly up to the airlock, but not further.
BTW, SG was 1.1000 so this should give me a minimum of 13% at 1.0.

Latest posts

Back