Blackberry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tau

Landlord.
Reaction score
Was given 6 punets of 125g each of cultivated blackberrys, though nice one. This is was started 10 days ago.

Blackberries 750g, boiling water over, blended and into dj
220g Red Grape Concentrate
1kg Sugar
Pectolase 1tsp
Nutrient 1 tsp
citric 1tsp
Malic 1tsp
2 tea bags
Gervain GV4 yeast

Initial sg 1.25

Thought at first 750g wouldn't be enough, but with sg at 1.25 it is.

Thought at first 750g wouldn't be enough, but with sg at 1.25 it is.

:shock: I think you might have to dilute this one. I don't think any yeast to could get anywhere near through that!

Sg was with 3.5 ltr, been topped up, plus the must will give a bit of a false reading and it has to be strained in a few days and topped up so reading will drop somewhat from initial. Often why I rarely take an initial reading when using raw ingredients. It'll be ok in the end :?

Racked yesterday and took a reading before topping up 400mls, at 0.994 after 13 days fermentation. Definetly an incorrect initial reading. 1kg sugar, 150g max for grape conc', 250g maybe for blackberries might be more, initial should have been around s.g 1120 give or take a few grams of sugar in the blackberries.

Final rack done onto a camden, I'll leave for a month or two, tastes very strong and dry. Think I'll use less blackberries in future than I did last year.

Close to those figures, at most 17.8 - least 15.9% taking raking and topping up into consideration.

P*ssed off, just bottled and acidity seemed to much compared to racking and alcohol warmth not as noticable. Corked and still had the lingering taste that it was about to go into acetification. Uncorked bottles, crushed a camden up and added equal portions to each bottle, can only pray that it will turn out ok. :(

Latest posts

Back