Moving on from kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
Earlier this week I placed an order for my very first partial mash brew :razz:, I got everything for the Imperial Stout out of greg hughes Home Brew Beer, with a view to boosting it up a'la dad of jon's post, adding some DWE and doubling the speciality grains, I'm looking forward to getting cracking I must say!
Went to my local Chinese supermarket today and came out with a 30litre stock pot along with the spring rolls and siu mais! and then on the way to SWMBO'S folk's house we popped into lovebrewing for some bits and pieces. I was reading somewhere about using some base malt in place of some of the DME if possible, so I picked up some maris otter to put in the mash from there as well.
It occurred to me earlier, do I really want 40 pints of 8.5%. stout taking up space and bottles for 6 months before I can start drinking it? so I got to thinking, well I'll do 20 pints of that and 20 pints of a black IPA as well, as some of the grains are the same and I've got loads of suitable hops any way :) just looking for a good recipe now and I'll probably brew it on the yeast cake off the stout. Can't wait to get started:thumb:

Earlier this week I placed an order for my very first partial mash brew :razz:, I got everything for the Imperial Stout out of greg hughes Home Brew Beer, with a view to boosting it up a'la dad of jon's post, adding some DWE and doubling the speciality grains, I'm looking forward to getting cracking I must say!
Went to my local Chinese supermarket today and came out with a 30litre stock pot along with the spring rolls and siu mais! and then on the way to SWMBO'S folk's house we popped into lovebrewing for some bits and pieces. I was reading somewhere about using some base malt in place of some of the DME if possible, so I picked up some maris otter to put in the mash from there as well.
It occurred to me earlier, do I really want 40 pints of 8.5%. stout taking up space and bottles for 6 months before I can start drinking it? so I got to thinking, well I'll do 20 pints of that and 20 pints of a black IPA as well, as some of the grains are the same and I've got loads of suitable hops any way :) just looking for a good recipe now and I'll probably brew it on the yeast cake off the stout. Can't wait to get started:thumb:
One reason i stopped kits was the amount of beer,ie 40 odd pints
Been doing both small batch extract and biab brews and both knock spots off kits imho.
Have tweaked a few known /book recipies but mostly been using the recipe builder available on here to create my own:thumb:

If you want a good black IPA recipe take a look at JFB's in the recipes forum on here, it won the first forum competition and was a really fantastic beer.

Edit: the recipe is here http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67022

Thanks for that, I'll definitely give it a go, I've got those grains and citra and cascade in the cupboard, I've got Amarillo too, would that swap out well for the Apollo in the recipe do you think? I've got challenger and ekg if one of those would be better.

Do you know how much DME a kilo of Maris Otter replaces? I got two kilos, one for each brew. Thanks

One reason i stopped kits was the amount of beer,ie 40 odd pints
Been doing both small batch extract and biab brews and both knock spots off kits imho.
Have tweaked a few known /book recipies but mostly been using the recipe builder available on here to create my own:thumb:

I get through about ten pints a week so I don't mind too much if it's regular strength, we get through a fair bit! But i find that I like doing special strong beers for longer term conditioning, I've got 4 Brewferm kits packaged and another two to go on at some point, about 10 litres each and it's enough producing 30+ 330ml bottles, it takes up a lot of space!

I think I'll get these extract brews under my belt and then do some full biab, AG is where I'm headed but I want to walk before I run so to speak, swmbo gave me the green light for a grainfather a while back but I'll want to convince myself first that AG is worth making the investment

Thanks for that, I'll definitely give it a go, I've got those grains and citra and cascade in the cupboard, I've got Amarillo too, would that swap out well for the Apollo in the recipe do you think? I've got challenger and ekg if one of those would be better.

Do you know how much DME a kilo of Maris Otter replaces? I got two kilos, one for each brew. Thanks

Replace the apollo with something with high AAs and cheap, I wouldn't waste Amarillo as an early bittering hop.

Can't help with the extract replacement I'm afraid, try using the brewers friend calculator, it shouldn't be too difficult to work it out using that. :thumb:

One Kilo MO ~ 650g DME

One Kilo MO ~ 650g DME

Thanks Slid, so in that black IPA recipe it calls for 6kg pale malt which would work out at 3.9kg of DME does that sound right?
So If I'm doing a half sized batch with a kilo of MO then I'd mash that with the speciality grain and add 1.3kg of DME to the boil.
If I wanted to end up with 11.5litres of wort post boil, could you give me an idea how much to mash and then sparse with please?

I Just ordered some Apollo pellets off eBay, I thought I'd do it to the exact recipe and the rest of the pack will bitter quite a few more brews.

If your using grains,why not mash and then split your wort using the DME in one and only grain in the other.This will give you two brews providing you have enough yeast and two fermenters and only one brew day,be it a bit longer.:thumb:

Thanks Slid, so in that black IPA recipe it calls for 6kg pale malt which would work out at 3.9kg of DME does that sound right?
So If I'm doing a half sized batch with a kilo of MO then I'd mash that with the speciality grain and add 1.3kg of DME to the boil.
If I wanted to end up with 11.5litres of wort post boil, could you give me an idea how much to mash and then sparse with please?

I Just ordered some Apollo pellets off eBay, I thought I'd do it to the exact recipe and the rest of the pack will bitter quite a few more brews.

Proper glad your giving the recipe a go:thumb: Please let me how it turns out.

When I was doing Partial Mashes, I would ideally have used 3L per kg to mash and maybe another 2L to do a dunk sparge of the 1kg (in a grain bag) post mashing. You can do the dunk sparge in the FV you will be using.

Just use enough water to get your mashed & sparged wort up to target after adding the DME and hops to do your boil.

Thanks everyone, I'll do a bit more reading and hopefully get the first brew on this weekend. Going to see a microbrewery in Chester this weekend which will doubtless end up in a session so we'll see if it actually gets done.

Latest posts

Back