Home Brew Competition - November 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final bump for this. Judging will be one week from tonight so still time to enter. I’ve got four entries so far, from @dan125 @mickdundee @dads_ale and @mozza and they all sound like really interesting beers.

So is tonight judging night?

It is. Just getting the kids in bed and then I'll be sitting down with the beers. Will endeavour to post results tonight but feedback messages may have to wait until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all four entrants in this month’s competition. It’s been really interesting to taste four very different beers, which made the judging difficult. Here are the results:

1st: @mozza - 1910 Fullers AK clone. This was a very well brewed beer, I suspect a fairly simple recipe but a very enjoyable drink. I can well imagine it being the ubiquitous drink of its day.
2nd: @dan125 - Cryo Red IPA. Very nicely balanced IPA which delivered a fresh hop flavour.
3rd: @dads_ale - Alestorm Special Reserve. A lovely rich ruby red ale.
4th: @mickdundee - Gingerbread Brown Ale. A very nice dessert beer.

I’ll message each of you tonight or tomorrow with more detailed feedback.

Great work getting this in so quick. I’d half-expected to finish fourth, this has very much been a “Marmite” beer wit its tastings so far.

Last edited:
Over the moon, thanks to Ajhutch for the detailed review! Not something I'd usually brew but have been meaning to brew an old recipe for ages. Glad I finally got round to it!

Cheers @Ajhutch - glad you liked the beer, and thanks for the feedback.
Well done @mozza - I'd be interested to see the recipe for the 1910 brew
:cheers:

Congrats to all the other competitors and Ajhutch for judging and sending feedback :thumb::thumb:

Here is the recipe for the Alestorm Strong Ale (note this is for a 34 litre final volume). It was very much a 'use it up' brew that tuned out rather well :)

Malt:
Marris Otter - 7.6kg
Wheat - 1kg
Flaked Barley - 400g
Special B - 300g
Crystal Wheat - 500g

Mash - 66c for 90mins
Boil - 60mins

Hops:
East Kent Goldings (5.0) - 60g - 60 mins
Willamette (5.6) - 60g - 60mins

East Kent Goldings (5.0) - 20g - 15 mins
Willamette (5.6) - 20g - 15mins
Irish Moss - 6g - 15mins

Yeast - S04
OG - 1066
FG - 1016

Cheers @Ajhutch - glad you liked the beer, and thanks for the feedback.
Well done @mozza - I'd be interested to see the recipe for the 1910 brew

I tried to follow the recipe as best I could but couldn't get any Cluster for the 90minute addition, so I've gone with fuggles instead. Similarly the recipe specifies 2 row and 6 row pale malt but I used Maris Otter.

Brew Length 20L
OG 1045
FG 1009
ABV 4.76
IBU 49
EBC 24

MO pale malt 3.12kg
Flaked Maize 0.22kg
No.2 invert sugar 0.22kg
No.3 invert sugar 0.55kg

Fuggles 90mins 30g
Fuggles 60 mins 30g
EKG 30 mins 30g
Irish moss 10 mins

Fermented with CML real ale yeast. I did pitch WLP002 but the culture was completely dead (first ever problem with a white labs product). Admittedly my own fault for not making a starter but at this volume I shouldn't really have to. The CML yeast sprang into action though to save the day [emoji106]

I tried to follow the recipe as best I could but couldn't get any Cluster for the 90minute addition, so I've gone with fuggles instead. Similarly the recipe specifies 2 row and 6 row pale malt but I used Maris Otter.

Brew Length 20L
OG 1045
FG 1009
ABV 4.76
IBU 49
EBC 24

MO pale malt 3.12kg
Flaked Maize 0.22kg
No.2 invert sugar 0.22kg
No.3 invert sugar 0.55kg

Fuggles 90mins 30g
Fuggles 60 mins 30g
EKG 30 mins 30g
Irish moss 10 mins

Fermented with CML real ale yeast. I did pitch WLP002 but the culture was completely dead (first ever problem with a white labs product). Admittedly my own fault for not making a starter but at this volume I shouldn't really have to. The CML yeast sprang into action though to save the day [emoji106]

Nice one Mozza.
Where did you get the invert sugars from?
And did you age this beer for long?

Over the moon, thanks to Ajhutch for the detailed review! Not something I'd usually brew but have been meaning to brew an old recipe for ages. Glad I finally got round to it!

Was it an online source you got this recipe from or a book? I too am interested in doing some historical beers and can't make up my mind which one to go for.

Off top of my head one was written by author of shut up about barclay perkin s website and other by durden park circle or something similar will probably get both eventually anyway.

Well done to all entrants in this month's competition.

Nice one Mozza.
Where did you get the invert sugars from?
And did you age this beer for long?

Painstakingly made the invert. The No.2 took about 90 mins on the hob and the no.3 about 3 hours. No it's still young [emoji106]

Was it an online source you got this recipe from or a book? I too am interested in doing some historical beers and can't make up my mind which one to go for.

Off top of my head one was written by author of shut up about barclay perkin s website and other by durden park circle or something similar will probably get both eventually anyway.

Well done to all entrants in this month's competition.

Ron Pattinson is the guy from that blog I think? It's a really good book with loads of recipes.
View attachment IMG_0002.jpg

Here's my recipe for the Cryo Red IPA - I was tryig to make a NEIPA inspired red beer, with low bitterness but a big fruity hoppy aroma/flavour. I was plannng on adding cranberries to some of this brew to enter into the other Nov. comp, but it never quite happened. I thought the tart cranberries would work well with this type of beer. If I was making it again (without cranberries) I'd increase the IBUs a bit:

Cryo Red IPA - 25L
OG 1.060
FG 1.013
6.2% ABV
25 IBUs approx

Red X malt - 6kg
Oat malt - 500g
Acidulated malt - 100g
Mashed at 67C

60mins
1ml - CO2 hop exract (6 IBUs)

5 mins