What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I brewed my 4th attempt at a NEIPA.

Just MO, malted & flaked oats, and flaked barley, but the hop schedule is getting a bit silly now - by the time its finished this will have had 400g of hops in a 25L batch - 100g each of Denali, Citra, Galaxy & Experimental 035. All going in post boil.

Using London III yeast again, but hoping for slightly lower attenuation with 1st generation this time.

:cheers:

Today I brewed my 4th attempt at a NEIPA.

Just MO, malted & flaked oats, and flaked barley, but the hop schedule is getting a bit silly now - by the time its finished this will have had 400g of hops in a 25L batch - 100g each of Denali, Citra, Galaxy & Experimental 035. All going in post boil.

Using London III yeast again, but hoping for slightly lower attenuation with 1st generation this time.

:cheers:

Nice mate nice. I know what you mean, sometimes I do wonder where it will end. I’m enjoying finding out the destination.

You know as well as I do, it’s all about minimising the o2 pickup now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice mate nice. I know what you mean, sometimes I do wonder where it will end. I’m enjoying finding out the destination.

You know as well as I do, it’s all about minimising the o2 pickup now.

I think I'm gonna draw the line at 400g in 25L - its over 50p a pint in hops alone! :lol:

Wishing I had that fermentasaurus now so I could pressure transfer, but I'll be trying out the CO2 bottle flushing on this batch (after a delay due to being sent the wrong type of valve :twisted:) for whatever doesn't fit in a corny & might fill a couple of bottles the normal way as well to do a side by side comparison.

Sorry whats this you;re talking about? purging bottles before .. bottling?

Yes, we've noticed a very distinct darkening and loss of hoppiness in bottled NEIPAs for some reason. It doesn't seem to happen in the keg, which is purged with CO2 before & after filling so we think its down to some rapid oxidising of something in the bottle - I'm gonna try purging the bottles as well this time to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Yes, we've noticed a very distinct darkening and loss of hoppiness in bottled NEIPAs for some reason. It doesn't seem to happen in the keg, which is purged with CO2 before & after filling so we think its down to some rapid oxygenation of something in the bottle - I'm gonna try purging the bottles as well this time to see if it makes a difference.

And I’m now going to do a heavy hopped beer in the fermentasaurus and then pressure transfer into a keg with no oxygen exposure at all.

I’m then going to get a beer gun and fill some flushed bottles direct from the keg. And share them with @dan125

Needless to say we will be comparing and contrasting. We might even make exactly the same recipe and swap bottles as well.

Yes, we've noticed a very distinct darkening and loss of hoppiness in bottled NEIPAs for some reason. It doesn't seem to happen in the keg, which is purged with CO2 before & after filling so we think its down to some rapid oxygenation of something in the bottle - I'm gonna try purging the bottles as well this time to see if it makes a difference.

Just standatd bottling? how would you purge the bottle?

You could do it literally with your normal co2 bottle with nothing on the end of your gas line from your regulator.

Just fill the bottle with a quick swoosh of gas and then fill as normal with a bottling wand.

You could do it literally with your normal co2 bottle with nothing on the end of your gas line from your regulator.

Just fill the bottle with a quick swoosh of gas and then fill as normal with a bottling wand.

This is pretty much what I'm gonna do - I just bought a tee, some extra 3/8 gas line and a valve to hopefully have a bit of control of the gasflow.

Just to be good in the new year, I decided to make a session bitter, Cotleigh Tawny Owl from Graham Wheeler's book, which I tried while working away recently and it went down very nicely.

Under the circumstances, I couldn't be bothered getting my wort cooler out, or making loads of ice, instead I filled a large plastic trug with some of the last remaining snow and dumped the pan in this. I had to keep re-packing it around the sides of the pot, but it worked quite well.

Got up bright & early and brewed an extract best bitter.
Added light & medium crystal, small amount of light chocolate malt and a good dollop of golden syrup. Target for bittering, EKG for flavour.
Waiting for it to cool before adding Crossmyloof Real Ale yeast.
O.G. is 11 brix. Will bottle around New Years day, great start to the year!

Seasons greetings to all forum members.

RE-CI-PE!! RE-CI-PE!!

meanwhile, doorbell :mrgreen: 20 liters :

Sorry, only noticed this.

Recipe below, volumes and ABV ended up different. It also has a massive hoppy fruity flavour for some reason when I wasn't aiming for that. Also would have liked more bitterness to balance the flavour.

Put the 0 min additions in right at flameout, left in for half an hour. I probably should have waited until the temperature was 80C

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Life Sentence
Author: Sean Carey

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Experimental Beer
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 22 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 26 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.011
ABV (standard): 4.98% (ended up with 19L at 6%)
IBU (tinseth): 25.43
SRM (morey): 4.92

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - Ireland - Ale Malt (60%)
2 kg - Maris Otter - Ale Malt (40%)

HOPS:
10 g - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 18.66
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 6.77
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 0 min
20 g - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days
20 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Sparge, Temp: 68 C, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15 L, 12.5 mash, 15 L sparge
Starting Mash Thickness: 2.5 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
10 g - campden tablet, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Cross My Loof Pale Ale yeast
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 78%
Flocculation: Med
Optimum Temp: 18.89 - 22.22 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

PRIMING:
Method: Granulated Sugar
Amount: 100g
CO2 Level: 2.5 Volumes

Victors apple cider kit 10pints brew in a box.. Just add water and yeast sachet included, ready in 48 hrs it says. Has a tap on the bottom for still cider. Might bottle a few to carbonate maybe.
My wife bought two of em £4 quid each, bbe nov17.
Might be a bargain or might be drain cleaner, who knows.

And I’m now going to do a heavy hopped beer in the fermentasaurus and then pressure transfer into a keg with no oxygen exposure at all.

I’m then going to get a beer gun and fill some flushed bottles direct from the keg. And share them with @dan125

Needless to say we will be comparing and contrasting. We might even make exactly the same recipe and swap bottles as well.

Or you could be send them to me, an impartial judge 😉

Back