Does anyone use this?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

020950.jpg

Was speaking to a Aussie about wine, hes use something similar. (approx 20g - 25g per gallon) + nutrient etc...

Adsa sell it for 64p (125g), which can make 6 gallon! Could be a very cheap alliterative to Young's Super yeast.

You can probably get away with it, as a last resort, if you really can't get anything better.

Moley said:
You can probably get away with it, as a last resort, if you really can't get anything better.

He uses it all the time, one the most important thing he said was to keep the SG under 1.080, just sprinkle it on the top it go's like bomb with within 36hrs, (temp dependant)

will give it a try next weekend....

I used that once for some TC as I didn't have any other yeast available. It made a reasonable drink, but cider yeast is better.

Depends on what you're after.

Those yeasties have been bred to make bread. Sure, they can make alcohol, but it's not what they've been selected and trained for.

It's rather like asking a jobbing carpenter to make you a chair. He will certainly be able to knock together something which will do the job if you don't really care how good it looks as long as you can sit on it, but you'll get something much nicer if you go to a professional cabinetmaker.

If your brief is simply “make me some alcohol” and you aren't that fussy if it tastes any good as long as it gets you inebriated, go ahead - but if you want it done right, call in the professionals.

A sachet of proper dried yeast dedicated to Wine / cider is £1.00 from the HomeBrew Shop and that will make 5 gallon.

So by using bread yeast you are saving 36p for a 5 gallon batch.

Thats less than 1p per pint, is it really worth it :?:

Latest posts

Back