Experimenting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm about to try yeasts which I've never used before, can someone just dot the "I" etc....

I've NEVER used "Young Super wine yeast" before (used Lalvin sachets 5g) & experimenting with "Allinson's Dry Active Yeast"

I'm basing the recipe of WOW, can anyone spot any faults?

Ingredients (Set 1)
1 LT Red Grape juice (sugar 160g)
1 LT Pure Orange (sugar (100g)
540g Sugar
1 Tsp Pectolase
1 Tsp Allinson's Dry Active Yeast (15g)
2 Dsp Nutrients (20g)
½ Tsp Tannin
Pinch of Epsom salts (1g)

Racking
1 Campton table (crushed)
1 tsp Glycerine

16/4/2011 (1pm)
SG - 1080 Temp 20C (placed on heating tray)

Ingredients (Set 2)
1 LT Red Grape juice (sugar 160g)
1 LT Pure Orange (sugar (100g)
740g Sugar
½ Tsp Pectolase
½ Tsp Young Super Wine Yeast Compound (7.5g)
1 Dsp Nutrient (10g)
½ Tsp Tannin

Racking
1 tsp Glycerine
1 Campton table (crushed)

16/4/2011 (1.30pm)
SG - 1094 Temp 21C (placed on heating tray)

I've decided to use less sugar in set 1, due to yeast which isn't designed for wine, so i don't wish to over power it with to much sugar.

What do ya think?

Why are you adding Campden tablets and what are the Epsom salts for?

Otherwise: :thumb:

Campton tables remove chlorine taste in the water, whilst keeping the water clean from infection; Epsom salts is a yeast energiser.

you may of noticed I'm using less Campton table in set2; after the reading "Young's wine super yeast compound" i was left with the impression it as three ingedient... Yeast, Nutrient & a cleaning agent"

Just read the tub (YWSC) again at first i didn't see the ingredients - Bentonite, Dried yeast, DAP, vitamins & minerals

so adjustments to be made....

Yes, CAMPDEN tablets (please note spelling) remove free chlorine and chloramines from your water. Half a tablet will treat 5 gallons! The quantities you are suggesting will inhibit your yeasts, are unnecessary and counter-productive.

I have never heard of anyone using Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) in winemaking.
I know it has medical uses, such as in laxatives, but am unaware of any food/drink uses.

Moley said:
Yes, CAMPDEN tablets (please note spelling) remove free chlorine and chloramines from your water. Half a tablet will treat 5 gallons! The quantities you are suggesting will inhibit your yeasts, are unnecessary and counter-productive.

I have never heard of anyone using Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) in winemaking.
I know it has medical uses, such as in laxatives, but am unaware of any food/drink uses.

Your right, (I would normally use that amount) but on the Youngs "tub" it say.... use 1 crushed table per gallon?

will drop it ½ table to safe...

Beginning to regret go into wilko now..... visited one last week whilst visiting an old friends we don't have one in my area.

back to Epsom salts, yes it used.... in very small amounts i use "Bells" pharmaceutical grade 100% pure, just a couple of grains it works.

PS: the spell checker corrected to compton? (just woke up)

redsoxs said:
but on the Youngs "tub" it say.... use 1 crushed tablet per gallon?
That's at the end of fermentation, whenever you are racking or filtering.

It is also used at the beginning of the process if you are using fresh fruits, flowers etc. and it is used to knock out wild yeasts, then you can add your own yeast a day later.

As you are using fruit juices you do not need campden tablets at the start.

Moley said:
redsoxs said:
but on the Youngs "tub" it say.... use 1 crushed tablet per gallon?
That's at the end of fermentation, whenever you are racking or filtering.

It is also used at the beginning of the process if you are using fresh fruits, flowers etc. and it is used to knock out wild yeasts, then you can add your own yeast a day later.

As you are using fruit juices you do not need campden tablets at the start.

yes, the chance of infection is low at the start FV, but i use it to be safe as well for the chlorine. (will add the other half at racking)

will be doing it in a couple hours.

PS: just quickie.... another reason why i use it at the begining is to reduce the risk clouding, i read & heard of campton tables clouding when added at racking.

redsoxs said:
PS: just quickie.... another reason why i use it at the begining is to reduce the risk clouding, i read & heard of campton tables clouding when added at racking.
Yes, there has been some discussion about Young's CTs clouding an already clear wine, but that doesn't mean you can use it at the start instead of the end of the process.

I've found a very brief mention of using the tip of a teaspoonful of Epsom salts as a yeast booster in CJJ Berry's “First Steps”, so it must be right.

Anyway, I'm clearly wasting my time over the issue of CTs, so good luck with the experiment and please let us know how it goes, I've never used bread yeast in winemaking or brewing.

Moley said:
redsoxs said:
Yes, there has been some discussion about Young's CTs clouding an already clear wine, but that doesn't mean you can use it at the start instead of the end of the process.

I've found a very brief mention of using the tip of a teaspoonful of Epsom salts as a yeast booster in CJJ Berry's “First Steps”, so it must be right.

Anyway, I'm clearly wasting my time over the issue of CTs, so good luck with the experiment and please let us know how it goes, I've never used bread yeast in winemaking or brewing.

no.... certainly not, this is good reason for the experiment, half will be added to set 1, but not set two... bread yeast is a commonly used in brewing, although mainly in moonshine washes.

redsoxs said:
bread yeast is a commonly used in brewing, although mainly in moonshine washes.
.... but we aren't going to expand on that on THBF :nono:

I saw Allinson's Dried Active Yeast specifically chosen for a mead recipe which was posted, and am tempted to try that one myself.

Moley said:
redsoxs said:
bread yeast is a commonly used in brewing, although mainly in moonshine washes.
.... but we aren't going to expand on that on THBF :nono:

I saw Allinson's Dried Active Yeast specifically chosen for a mead recipe which was posted, and am tempted to try that one myself.

eh?

yes it also used in mead, although i've never done a mead YET.

May of screwed up a little although no major damage, when starting set1, i may of put to much tannin in, can't see doing any real harm (wrong spoon).

here's a pic. (the one on the left is Allinson's, the difference in volume is the shape of the DJ)

P4160341.jpg

first bubble started on allinson's yeast, 1 bubble every 30sec..... looking good. (5pm)

youngs as started 1 bubble every 1min. (6pm)

After 24hrs both are bubbling fast, 1 every sec, although Young's is slightly faster.... removed from heating tray.

Thought time to do an update....

Allinson's Dry active yeast, after the third day it blow thought the bubbler all over the wall, i ended up having to clean the bubbler & place some tissue over the top with a elastic band (kinda homemade filter hehe), finished fermenting after 7 days, take it to 11.3ABV (dry), which i was impressed, with amount of sugar used, also it more clear & darker richer rose colour (Tannin? could that be the reason?) Young's was more lighter in colour?

Young's Wine super yeast, was more active in it bubble rate over the same period time, but didn't blow the bubbler, stopped 24 hours sooner finishing 14.6ABV, (very dry) left to settle longer & having a high amount of sugar.

Both left for a couple more days......

After 10 days (26/4) i syphoned off to new DJ , stabilising, then backing sweeting of sugar 30g to Allinson's, 60g to Young's, adding fining (vinclear) 2 teaspoons per DJ. Topped up with spare white wine to 5LTs.

24 hrs later Allinson's is ready for final polish to bottling, its looking that good.... yet something gone wrong with Young's? it remains cloudy, so added a further two tsps of vinclear (yesterday), still no moment?

As i said the Allinson's was dry... i was looking for after taste's with using an unorthodox yeast, yet to my surprise i couldn't taste any yeast or anything unusual with the expectation of it being very Young wine, the same can be said about Young's yeast which was very dry.

The wifes palette is far more sensitive than mine, (so involved the wife) being a little fickle as she is.... the first comment was on the colour she clearly favoured the Allinson's much darker Rose colour, after taste she did like both but could clearly spot which was the driest, so i decided to do the test again after back sweeting.

After back sweetening, she liked the allinsons... for colour & less ABV, she did still notice ABV saying both was raw, lacking something? which i put down to the wine not being fully matured yet. Generally happy with both she couldn't taste any yeast.

Back to young.... uploading a pic to show the present state. Young's at the moment refuses to clear? yet Allinson's looking fine so far, will Polish in a couple of days (weekend), as for youngs... unsure what to do but just but leave it, giving it more time....

P4280342.jpg

Latest posts

Back