making lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burpee

Reaction score
I want to have a go at a lager as that what i mostly drink, but have been put off by the temperature requirements anyone got any recomendations about making one, maybe using an ale yeast. has anyone had good results with normal household temps , or with weather getting cooler using garden shed etc

If your doing a Coopers Lager ... and want to do it quickish , stay away from the European or the Mexican Lagers , these take about 2 - 3 months from start to finish .
The other Coopers are drinkable after 4 weeks , there really easy brews to do ... brewing temps are between 21C and 27C .
Have fun ...
Dave .

I've heard different reviews about the geordie lager is there anyway i could make a strong, drinkable lager out of this as my local shop has them, around 5%

Cheers said:
To be honest i dont think you can do much to tin kits to improve the taste .

Not true. There are a number of simple little things that can be done to improve a Can Kit. Use a better yeast rather than the one provided, Brew it short and use Malt extract instead of sugar, this will (I think :hmm: ) help with body and for flavour try dry hopping. If it's a lager then use a lager yeast rather than the Ale yeast that is almost always supplied. Kit brews can be rather good as an introduction to the art of brewing but there will always be the time old practice of PATIENTS managing to leave a brew alone long enough to condition will always be the best trick to learn :thumb: :D

snail59 said:
Cheers said:
To be honest i dont think you can do much to tin kits to improve the taste .

Not true. There are a number of simple little things that can be done to improve a Can Kit. Use a better yeast rather than the one provided, Brew it short and use Malt extract instead of sugar, this will (I think :hmm: ) help with body and for flavour try dry hopping. If it's a lager then use a lager yeast rather than the Ale yeast that is almost always supplied. Kit brews can be rather good as an introduction to the art of brewing but there will always be the time old practice of PATIENTS managing to leave a brew alone long enough to condition will always be the best trick to learn :thumb: :D

Maybe you can , but i've tried all kinds ... different yeasts ... Malt extract ect , the taste is still the same ... this is the reason why i'm going all grain , i'm after a real ale taste and Coopers cant give this to me .

By the way i have made some very nice kits by doing some or all of the following: changing the yeast, adding dry hops, boiling some hops up and adding the water to the wort, 'lagering' lager etc.

I agree with Snail.

shearclass said:
snail59 said:

Patience... I imagine... unless you are experiementing on people with yoru home brew?

:grin:
Well spotted :thumb:

Now if you had spell checked YORU own post I would have been more inclined to take notice :rofl:

Or are we EXPERIMENTING with alternative language :whistle:

ha ha, i can't type at all, and my work PCs don't spell check IE words.

'yoru' is a standard, as is 'teh'. I might as well press random keys then let spell checker decide what i was meaning to write.

Latest posts

Back