Hello -

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Expert

Reaction score
Hello All
Just bough my starter kit ready for the weekend so any tips would be appreciated.

James

What's your area of expertise, as it's obviously not brewing yet?

If you want tips it might help if you gave us a clue as to what kit you've bought.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Welcome to the forum :cheers:
Woodfordes kits are good, which one did you get?

I've just done my first kit, a Woodfordes Wherry, and it was fantastic! Will certainly be doing another!
Welcome to the forums!

I've done the Wherry kit, and it came out great. Altough, as most Wherry kits do, it stuck around 1020 and took a bit to get it to move.

Looks like a good bit of starter kit. I take it you're planning to keg then since it comes with a pressure barrel?

You will probably want to replace that siphon with something like this as it doesn't require you to put your mouth on the tubing and it has a cap on the bottom to help prevent sucking up yeast sediment.

When I bought my pressure barrel(s) I got the ones with an s30 valve and I use a small CO2 cylinder to top mine up. It's easier and cheaper than the disposable bulbs in the long run. I THINK you should be able to just buy a new lid for your barrel if you were wanting to go that route.

carl_saint said:
I've just done my first kit, a Woodfordes Wherry, and it was fantastic! Will certainly be doing another!
Welcome to the forums!

that the one i bought, sound good already

The Expert said:
[quote="carl_saint":1tmy1yes]I've just done my first kit, a Woodfordes Wherry, and it was fantastic! Will certainly be doing another!
Welcome to the forums!

that the one i bought, sound good already[/quote:1tmy1yes]

Definitely replace the yeast then. At LEAST a couple times a month people post saying their Wherry kit stuck at 1020.

StubbsPKS said:
The Expert said:
[quote="carl_saint":zygk4wfq]I've just done my first kit, a Woodfordes Wherry, and it was fantastic! Will certainly be doing another!
Welcome to the forums!

that the one i bought, sound good already

Definitely replace the yeast then. At LEAST a couple times a month people post saying their Wherry kit stuck at 1020.[/quote:zygk4wfq]

1020 can you explain please

1020 is the reading on a hydrometer. A vital bit of kit. When your kit has finished fermenting you will get a reading the same, say 1008, 3 days in a row. 1020 is a little high. Ive never done one of those kits so dont know what the final reading should be. You also use a hydrometer to work out your ABV %. To do this you take a reading just before adding the yeast. eg 1040, then one when its finished fermenting ( same reading for 3 days ) eg 1008. Put them readings into the calculator, ( top left of the page) and it works out the strenght for you. :thumb:

It's the gravity reading that most wherrys stick at (about mid fermentation) You should have a hydrometer in your starter kit if not put top of your shopping list
:cheers:

mln810 said:
1020 is the reading on a hydrometer. A vital bit of kit. When your kit has finished fermenting you will get a reading the same, say 1008, 3 days in a row. 1020 is a little high. Ive never done one of those kits so dont know what the final reading should be.
I've only done one of those but it finished at 1.014
YMMV

aneray said:
Moley said:
:wha: I wonder how many looked that one up.
My apologies, a bloody awful Americanism which I have only learned through this forum, I think it's the first time I've ever used it myself and I'll try to make it the last.

Basically, your results may differ.

Just finished first phase, reading before yeast 1040, could do with a pint now, found it a little stressful,

Back