old peculier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnluc

Regular.
Reaction score
bonsoir,i recently did an old peculier from GW book, followed recipe to the letter,it tastes really good but the colour is very dark almost black is this right for this beer.

cheers mark, i suppose if it tastes ok thats a result, i just would like to know why its so dark,iv'e never got one this this wrong before.
johnluc.

Yes, Old Peculiar is quite a dark beer.

You can often end up a little darker or lighter depending on the colour of the Crystal Malt Used. Crystal Malt comes in a number of different colours and that can make a difference.

If you want to compare pop down the supermarket and pick up a bottle of OP and do a comparison.

Runwell-Steve said:
If you want to compare pop down the supermarket and pick up a bottle of OP and do a comparison.

would love to be able to pop down to local supermarket to pick one up steve, thats why i started this wonderful hobby so i could drink proper beer, even the local frenchies like it better than lager. (probably because its free) : :hmm:
johnluc

I had a bottle of the proper stuff last night and it is very dark, nearly as dark as the bottle of my stout I also had, so yes it is a very dark beer and personally I wouldn't worry.

our local trading post had some Old Peculier in yesterday (see, we are civilised up here) so i couldn't resist it.

Regarding colour, there's an easy way of checking if you've got it right (I did this last night):

Hold your glass up towards a light bulb - the colour of the light bulb through the beer matches almost exactly that of a traffic light at red when viewed at night.

If you see green - God knows what you've done wrong :sick:

As has been said it is a dark beer. I was amazed when in a bar in Chicago seeing 2 Americans drink it. It was their regular tipple.

took some to a party yesterday,some of the tuned in ale drinkers said it was pretty much like the real thing in colour and taste so well pleased. :party:

Though my tap water is convenient as an easily-modified base because the numbers are all quite low, it definitely needs some mineral additions for UK Beers. Here are my numbers in ppm:

Calcium: 3.03
Magnesium: 0.56
Sodium: 2.82
Sulfate: 2.55
Chloride: 3.78
Bicarbonate: 6.66

pH: 7.1

This is what I have for the Masham water supply:

http://www.ywonline.co.uk/web/WQZ.nsf/0 ... %20WSZ.pdf

My thinking is to plug in these values from the above report:

Calcium: 49.87
Magnesium: 3.92
Sodium: 8.62
Sulfate: 70.24
Chloride: 12.08
Bicarbonate: 126*

pH: 8.0*

* guessed

Anyone have any thoughts on a suitable water profile for a GW (3rd Ed.) OP clone?

Latest posts

Back