Yeastyness Help!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03clacey

Reaction score
So heres the low down, I made up a cider kit, nevewr read the gravity at the start. Left it for a week until it stopped bubbling and the gravity was 1010 , added some flavouring that came with it, stirred it up (which made it go cloudy btw), syphoned it into a keg with 60g of caster sugar (22.5 ltrs of cider btw) and screwed the lid on. It has now been sitting in the hallway for 6 days. I poured a bit today and it was a little carbonated but not that much.. so i put a charge into the keg and tried it again. My problem is this.. first of all when i tried it it smelt really yeasty and it tasted the same too. Secondly, its very cloudy, it says to cool it down to clear it but the kegs too big for the fridge so maybe outside? And finally, i want to put it into bottles now, i was going to stick some sugar in there so they go fizzy again.. will it work?

I know its alot of questions and reading.. but i really want to start getting into the homebrew trend!

Im off to get bottles and caps tomorrow morning.

If the reading that you took when the brew had stopped bubbling was 1.010 then it has not finished fermenting yet. It should get down to below 1.000 by the time it is done (the instructions for the kit will probably give you an approximate figure). I think you would be best off putting it back into your (cleaned) fermenting vessel and letting it finish up. Once you will get the same hydrometer reading for three consecutive days you can assume its done.

Kit cider usually smells yeasty and eggy for a couple of months. After that it will get better. Cloudiness should also decrease with time. You just need to be patient.

Before bottling it I would suggest you to check the gravity. If there is to much sugar and the yeast is active they might explode.

Latest posts

Back