is this normal?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabbie

Reaction score
i started a frozen fruits wine last week using a recipe i lifted from tinternet. i used frozen fruit tubs from aldi. 1kg summer fruits 500g black forest fruits and 300g raspberries togetger with white grape juice and enough sugar to lift the og to 1090. the recipe basically said to mix it all up in a FV with water and add the usual yeast, nutrient and pectolase then stir twice a day for 6 days and then syphon off into demijohn. well, i made sure i had made enough to ferment the extra in a small bottle for topping up purposes. connected an air lock and sat back and watched and waited and waited and waited and no air bubbles. whilst waiting i had a sip of the remains from the bucket, i expected to taste some sweetness and a yeasty taste. it was actually dry.
out came the hydrometer and the reading was 998. what should i do now? just wait for it to clear and then bottle it?

thanks

tim

if you have fruit flesh in there you need to rack it off, also you may need pectin enzyme to help it clear

yes, its been racked off and i used pectolase at the start, i was just very surprised that it have fermented this quickly

You could leave it another week and it will go down a bit further to nearer .990. Or if you like the taste then add CT & Pot sorb and degas, then add finings.

Latest posts

Back