Another Hello From South Wales.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be poking around Wilko in Cwmbran as well, they seem to have some cheap kit according to the website, but it's not clear if they actually stock it all in store, as with the placec in Blackwood, I will report back after my recce session :)

I couldn't get up to Balckwood on Saturday, so went up today, it was closed (Balckwood that is, not just the shop!!) so I dunno if it's any good as yet :(

I did drop into Wilkinsons and grabbed a hydrometer and sample jar for just over a fiver, I now know my first brew is down to 1.005, which sounds rather like water.... It does taste ruddy good though, so even if there is no alchohol in it I've got a nice 40 pints to drink. I'll be bottling it off tomorrow, fingers crossed this time next week home brew consumption :)

The Goatreich said:
The lower the reading gets to 1000 (or even lower), the more alcohol there is.

Sounds promising then :) The Cooper's kit literature reckoned it would be good for 4.7% ABV, sadly I didn't have a hydrometer when I started the brew off, so can't do the math for the estimated ABV, but the half pint let in the bottom of the FV tasted good and made my head spin slightly :D

The other 5 gallons is in my tool shed in a keg getting ready for next weekend, unless the keg bursts (going to check it soon) in whic case I'll be crying all over the forum :(

I plan to let it condition for a week in the keg, then bottle off around 20 pints to keep and leave the rest in the keg, for a short while anyway ;)

Already got my second brew underway, a Caxton's real ale kit, it's bubbling like mad so I'm hoping for another good brew :)

This is my first post so I'd like to say a warm hello to all.

Sorry to drag up an old topic but I see that some of the people here are in the Newport/Cwmbran area and I was wondering if they have spotted any brewing gear at the new Tesco Extra at Spytty retail park? I've heard that some tesco's now sell home brew stuff and was wondering if anyone here can confirm before I make the long bus trek there.

Cheers

Hi, I'm from Cwmbran and do make a trip to Wilkinsons when I get caught short of the odd item now and again but also went to Tesco last week and spent over £100 on eight kits and bits and pieces, I don't know if they still have everything discounted now though.
There is The Homebrew Crew in Cardiff but I haven't been there yet as they were shut for a while but I believe they are back open again now.

Tesco at Spytty were out of most stuff last weekend, and not sure when they would restock, the advice I got was to order on Tesco Direct and then collect in store, but on there it's all full price.

Wilkinson in Cwmbran is OK, but they are reducing what they carry slightly, still got the important basic stuff like fermenting vat, keg, one and two can kits, plus a few additives and some yeast when I was there last weekend (rumour had it they had a sale as well, and I needed a big funnel).

The Homebrew Crew in Roath, Cardiff is excellent, been there a couple of times and not caught them out yet, everything from a spare S30 valve (they exchange cylinders as well) to dried hops, malts and all types of yeast under one roof :)

They were shut for a while as a car crashed into the shop, but it's all fixed up now and open all day Saturday :)

Latest posts

Back