question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new brewer 2012

Reaction score
Hi everyone.I have fermented a Woodfordes Headcracker lager..think it's also called Barley Wine.. brew for 14 days now.The OG was 1070 so pretty strong but after 14 days it's got to 1020 and that has been like that for 6 days.The temp of the beer in the bin is stating 20/22c now but was 16/18c before that for 10 days but now it's warmer outside it has gone higher.
I just wondered if i should keg it now as it doesn't seem to be changing.I have a 40 pint keg or 25liters but this kit only makes 24 pints ..Any help would be great..Many thanks

Anyone help? :thumb:

new brewer 2012 said:
Hi everyone.I have fermented a Woodfordes Headcracker lager..think it's also called Barley Wine.. brew for 14 days now.The OG was 1070 so pretty strong but after 14 days it's got to 1020 and that has been like that for 6 days.The temp of the beer in the bin is stating 20/22c now but was 16/18c before that for 10 days but now it's warmer outside it has gone higher.
I just wondered if i should keg it now as it doesn't seem to be changing.I have a 40 pint keg or 25liters but this kit only makes 24 pints ..Any help would be great..Many thanks

Anyone help? :thumb:

anyone please :)

hi there 1020 seems a little high but may be done , i would give it a good careful stir (no splashing at this stage and leave it be for another 2 days then test again , if still 1020 then its done so kegging it will be ok even though only 20 odd pints in a 40 pint keg , remember to prime it you may want around 85g , for best results lager really needs bottles not kegs but it will be ok :thumb:

pittsy said:
hi there 1020 seems a little high but may be done , i would give it a good careful stir (no splashing at this stage and leave it be for another 2 days then test again , if still 1020 then its done so kegging it will be ok even though only 20 odd pints in a 40 pint keg , remember to prime it you may want around 85g , for best results lager really needs bottles not kegs but it will be ok :thumb:
Thank you.Yes I have just given it a stir..Not to vigorously I hope..I thought 85g was a bit too much maybe? I was thinking of half that? I have a pressurized keg with a C02 gas canister if it goes flat.
I am new to this gas canister stuff but i know I have to let all the gas into the keg in one go..
i will let you know in a few more days..
Again many thanks

new brewer 2012 said:
I thought 85g was a bit too much maybe?

That's fine :thumb:
I use 90-100 grams in my budget kegs without any problems
:cheers:

eggman said:
new brewer 2012 said:
I thought 85g was a bit too much maybe?

That's fine :thumb:
I use 90-100 grams in my budget kegs without any problems
:cheers:
Thanks..I weighed 3oz of Castor Sugar and used boiling water to dissolve it then let it cool down and put it into my keg.The only thing is worrying me is the FG was as 1020 which has been like that for 7 days and I could not wait any longer as it has been 15 days since I started :eek:
I did put some Vaseline on the keg cap rubber washer last week but that just disappeared over those days and have no more so hope it will still be a tight seal.
Is 7 days in a warmish room too long,I had the first fermenting bin there for 15 days..Room Temps are about 22c..
Beer temps was about 20/22c

you want to leave you keg in warm ish room for around 2 weeks , try a pint after a week to see if enough c02 is there , you won't get it gassy like a lager is for some reason in plastic kegs the c02 doesn't seem to get absorbed unlike when using bottles, hence bottles better (i have 4 king kegs , they are good but not great )

pittsy said:
you want to leave you keg in warm ish room for around 2 weeks , try a pint after a week to see if enough c02 is there , you won't get it gassy like a lager is for some reason in plastic kegs the c02 doesn't seem to get absorbed unlike when using bottles, hence bottles better (i have 4 king kegs , they are good but not great )

I had a tiny bit before and it tasted very bitter..Quite nasty..I am sure I left it too long at the same Hydrometer reading..
I am sure I have a infection in it..I sanitized everything though..Hope it will be ok in the end as Footie is on in a few weeks as you all know :D

as it was 1070 to start with you could of left in alone for weeks and there would be no problems as long as no infection due to being open etc , just leaving it will not harm it

pittsy said:
as it was 1070 to start with you could of left in alone for weeks and there would be no problems as long as no infection due to being open etc , just leaving it will not harm it
I didn't want to leave it any longer.I thought if it stays the same reading for more then 3 days you should bottle or keg it?

I just wondered.Some of you said add 85g of sugar to my keg so I did but that's for 25 liters or 40 pints but I am making only 23 pints so I have more or less added double.Is that going to be too much sugar? I got some beer out from the tap and it was very foamy.. Hope I haven't ruined it :(

lager wants more sugar than say an ipa etc and to get enough fizz for a lager some 200g would be needed for 23l ,however plastic kegs can't handle that much pressure thus bottles are better but as you only have half the amount of beer then you can add enough sugar after all (almost) , max amount of sugar for most plastic kegs are 85g and king kegs can handle 120g

pittsy said:
lager wants more sugar than say an ipa etc and to get enough fizz for a lager some 200g would be needed for 23l ,however plastic kegs can't handle that much pressure thus bottles are better but as you only have half the amount of beer then you can add enough sugar after all (almost) , max amount of sugar for most plastic kegs are 85g and king kegs can handle 120g
oh ok..many thank..should be ok then..better be otherwise I will have no lager for the Euro football.. :drink:

hi all..I have tried to add some of this beer into a 250ml bottle but I had to just pour it from the keg tap into the bottle,the little bottler was too large for the tap and a tube was too small to fit into the tap so I had to just let it flow into the bottle with air but the thing is there is so much froth in it coming out of the keg,as you know I added 80g of sugar when I should have added 40g as it was only a 20 pint brew.I haven't even added any sugar to the bottle because there is so much gas in the keg so much frothing ..don't know what to do,I hope it's not going to be like this all the time? :?

Just put this one down to experience and try and enjoy it from the keg!

Next time try a different brand as the Woodfordes range are known for sticking, although i have done 2 and neither have stuck, just lucky i supose.

Andy

Andyhull said:
Just put this one down to experience and try and enjoy it from the keg!

Next time try a different brand as the Woodfordes range are known for sticking, although i have done 2 and neither have stuck, just lucky i supose.

Andy
yeah I think I will just get it from the keg and leave the bottles,it's still quite a dark ale though..
anyway I have got myself a light lager called Canadian Blonde from Coopers. Got myself some DME "Dried Malt Extract) well.I am going to use 500mg of spraymalt and 500mg of castor sugar for effect..Hope it will turn out better then the Woodfordes..
25fhbvd.jpg

2uj49ac.jpg

Andyhull said:
Thats an alright kit,
Where did you get it from?
from Ebay mate..I didn't get the spraymalt until a few days after after I asked the seller what would be better..sugar or spraymalt and he suggested the extra light one..Hope it turns out ok :D

Im sure it will,
Also to add, the Better Brew range are getting very good reviews and they are the same price as the Coopers (etc) just for future reference ;)

Andyhull said:
Im sure it will,
Also to add, the Better Brew range are getting very good reviews and they are the same price as the Coopers (etc) just for future reference ;)
:cheers: thanks for that.. I will have a looksie at Better Brew range

Latest posts

Back