Water treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe1002

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have got most of my kit made for AG (just need to make my chiller tomorrow) and I have managed to convince SWMBO to let me brew in the kitchen until my brew shed has electrics and a roof that doesn't leak.

I have been doing lots of reading on AG brewing and think I am ready to give it a go in the next few weeks but the only thing I am not clear on is water treatment. Do I need to do anything to my water for AG brewing?

Many thanks,

Joe

I don't know about AG brewing but I would imagine, from a general hygein point, that if your boiling the water then your treating it anyway.

Of course I could be wrong but would be interesting to find out as I plan to get into AG myself at some point.

Joey, living in Chelmsford I take it you water comes from Hanningfield reservoir like me although that does not mean we have the same water profile. E-mail Essex and Suffolk water and they will give you a break down of your water which you can put into the forum calculator and find exactly what you need. You will still make a decent pint without any treatment but for a one size fits all treatment for Essex water try 25 mls of CRS' 1 teaspoon of gypsum added to the mash grains and 1 teaspoon of gypsum in the boil. That should see you OK for your first brews then you can fine tune.

Thanks chaps.

Dennis, I have found this on Essex & Suffolk's website. Is this what you mean or do I still need to email them?

If the above is sufficient, how do I decypher what to put in the forum calculator? If it is not sufficient, is there anything in particular I need to ask E&S?

Thanks

To have accurate water treatment you need your local water report. Then you need to get a salifert alkali testing kit and test your waters alkilinity. Its no good just throwing a few chemicals in and hoping for the best. When you obtain your water report use the forum water treatment calculator to work out what then needs adding

Thanks Mark. I wondered if the link I posted was the water report? I'll ask our supplier for a report and go from there.

Joey, I wrote that late last night a bit ******. :oops: should have explained more. If you go click on calculators top left hand of the page and the water treatment section you will see what you need to know the values of, calcium, magnesium etc. E-mail Essex and Suffolk water give them your postcode and list the values you need to know which you then enter into the calculator. They have been very helpful to me, I have E-mailed them every year for the last 4 years. As Mark said also get your self a salifert testing kit which you can use to test alkalinity on a regular basis. My reports have hardly changed over the 4 reports I've had and the salifert test is always the same. Runwell Steve lives around 5-6 miles away and I believe his result are the same. I was brewing for 30 years before getting any report just treating for hard water by pre-boiling the water and adding gypsum and epsom salts, always getting good beers. Getting a report allows fine tuning. Gary Smith over on Jims never treats his water and also gets good beers. He lives on Canvey Island.

My advice would be to buy a Salifert Alkalinity test kit and test your water yourself for every brew you do. If you are making bitters or pale ales reduce your alk down to 25ppm with CRS ( carbonate reducing solution) and use DLS ( dry liquor salts) for mineral aditions.
Go online to the Brupacks website and find " Information water treatment" and print off and read additions for CRS and DLS if you do this I'm sure it's game over.

By the way I purchased a new Salifert kit today at my local aquarium shop and was £7.65 for 200 tests.

dennisking said:
Joey, I wrote that late last night a bit ******. :oops:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Had you been drinking by any chance? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

:cheers:

Thanks for your help everyone, I'm a lot clearer on what I need to do :thumb: :cheers:

I can't wait to get my first AG brew on, just need to finish soldering my chiller, get some ingredients and I'm ready.

Going away on business this week doesn't really help though.

Latest posts

Back