P.D's Brewery.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi P.D. wondered if could answer me a lil question, please dont laugh if ive missed the obvious as me new t brewing and still on kits at the moment. If this is a gravity setup, how do you get it from the mash tun to the boiler?

Yes my system is 3 vessel gravity system Everything runs downhill ! :thumb:
A little solar pump might be employed in due course.....

As to your specific query....
mash tun via gravity to a bucket.
Lift and pour into boiler.

Well I got up early to put my first large brew on today. A Wherry type. I've been suffering since Saturday with a bad head cold and migrain which laid me up in bed. Thought I was feeling well enough to do a brew today but unfortunately I'm not so its postponed till tomorrow.
I decided on a Wherry as its a beer we all like in our household and doing a large brew it will ensure that we do at least like the beer enough to consume it readily. No good making 38 litres of a so so brew.
38 litres makes it easier just to double the ingredients and will allow me to split it for fermentation into 2 x 19 litre brews which is easily coped with, by the buckets I have available, ( also bottling 38 litres was looking to be a bit of a bind,) 19 litres aint so bad one day, and 19 litres the next. :clap:

I might try a different yeast on the 2 brews and and MAY dry hop one of them if I can think of a suitable hop,as my wherry gets a large amount of Styrian at the end of the boil as it is, which makes it flavoursome enough.

I might even consider doing an overnight mash.

Depending on the weather I'm going to try and visit B&Q this afternoon ( its pensioners discount day... :twisted: ) to pick up some insulation foam to cut some circles out to fit in the top of my mash tun to help with heat retention.

I'm still baffled why people lose temp with thermopots.

I lost nothing on my last brew. Not even 0.1c. I didn't pre heat or anything.

K

Surely it depends on how much volume is in it Kev, if you only do a small brew then there is a big head space and you will lose heat, Just the same as with a thermos flask as soon as you take some out the temp starts to drop away.

Yeh totally. That's why I'm keen to see PDs results.

I'd also prefer him not to put foam on top so it's a fair comparison.

I under let as we'll which may make a difference? Filling up slower may make the tun absorb heat better than dropping in hot water really quickly.

Just a thought.

K

kev my only experience so far with the thermopot and I lost around 0.1C so its no problem to me and I was impressed with its heat retention overall.
However that's based on 1 x 60 min mash. I use to loose a lot of heat on my old cool box and I guess its made me wary. I did notice a bit of heat coming thro on the outside of the lid ( warming to the hand ) so for the price of a bit of foam..it can't hurt.

Anyway's its a good excuse to get to walk round B&Q without the wife dragging me off to the kitchens and decorating sections...and its pensioners day...

Sorry PD. My mistake. I thought I read somewhere that you lost about 4c?

K

well 2 circles of 60mm polystyrene cut out and slid inside a plastic refuse bag. Slides up and down the mash tun like a goodun.
Should help to concentrate the heat where its required, on the grains.

I've also decided to go ahead with an o/night mash tonight, for the simple reason I ain't ever done one.

It looks like one of my new kettle elements ( one fitted to the HLT ) appears to have turned up its toes and is not working. I've contacted the supplier ( site sponsor ) who have requested the order number and promised to ...quote...and I will sort this out straight away.

Its only been used two times and that's in the hlt not on a full boil....

Racked off the previous brew Big Kenny into second fv ( Its supposedly a Scottish Heavy 80/- ) looking very dark and clear with a gravity reading od 1.012 giving around 4.3% at the moment.
The sample tastes, crisp, no off flavours and on the bitter side, but not unpleasant. I managed to drink the half glass sample anyway... :D

Ooh its positively tropical in the brewery today..... :clap:

Took a look at my last wherry brew that due to the bad weather are buried under mountains of insulation and wrappings.
Both fermenters ( 45 litres split between 2 vessels ) had their yeasts pitched 6th February and I was expecting to find both had nearly worked themselves out seeing as they have had 8 days.
However, both brews still have a large Kraussen on top and are still well into the ferment. both look and smell lovely.
So I took a temp reading of them both......... 14C !! I am a bit surprised firstly over the temp and secondly that both are working away well...
I've switched on the heat belt on 1 fermenter and had to move the second one into a water bath to raise the temps a bit....talk about a long ferment !!
Hope they have not been too stressed....we will see.

Not been on the forum much lately and just read your thread from start to end, great stuff and it really sums up home brewing for me, we all can do and brew as we please and much like yourself the ups and downs make the brewer :D
I just got a brew on today after almost three months :shock: so thanks for the read and her is to more brewing and brewery building :thumb:

PD

Firstly apologies for bumping an old thread especially as you had posted it closed... but.....

I have spent the last few hours reading this diary of yours and have found it hugely inspirational!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your experiences both good and bad, the recipes you have tried, the tasting notes, the kit you have used.

I hope your set-up is still performing for you.

Many thanks,

Stu :hat: :cheers:

Thank you for those very kind words they do mean a lot.

I closed the thread as although it was being read I got the feeling that it had run its course and was beginning to grate on folks nerves...... :D so I made the decision to close it so as not to keep upsetting the more experienced brewers, who it was not designed to appeal to......

Latest posts

Back