DIY Beer Crates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysalchemy

Reaction score
Just found this on the net, plans for diy beer crates, made outof 2x1 and 3x1.

9645968.jpg

here

I don't know what size of bottle they are for as it is a US site, but I think I might have a go.

I was thinking about that too but then I found:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10069763/

Which takes 4 dozen bottles per shelf, 144 bottles per unit. They fit together so you can stack them two high. Easier access to your drink (which is maybe a bad thing)...

That's £104 for 576 bottles worth of storage which would be £230 + delivery for new multitrip crates...

That said, that looks a nice simple sturdy design. I think I measured my fattest bottles at 75mm diameter if that helps your build...

Wonder what the safe working weight limit is on the Ikea shelving?

looks a nice clinical design. Good price too!

would hate to see 144 bottles all over floor :cry:

Think I need the garage extending!

Like the look of the beer crates , I guess they are stackable?

:cheers:

Nice find. :thumb: Love the DIY crates, they'd be nice with your own brewery logo sprayed on the sides. :D

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nice find. :thumb: Love the DIY crates, they'd be nice with your own brewery logo sprayed on the sides. :D

BB

Thats what I thought logo on the side would be the DB's

I also like those G, will have a go at a couple for transporting beer from the brewery, might do a six. :thumb: I think Mrs. S would like one under the kitchen table :hmm:
I don't think those Ikea ones would take a lot of weight. :?
S

Those look great, might give it a go myself. Just had a quick look but at least one of the sizes is off so don't do a direct conversion for beer bottles etc. The length says something like 17" and 18.5" for the widths of the inner and outer lengths. This can't be right as the wood is 1" so it would need to be 17 and 19" as far as I can see.

I'm going to make the gaps 80mm apart, that way they will be able to accomodate wine bottles :)

Springer said:
I don't think those Ikea ones would take a lot of weight. :?
S

I first saw them in-store and they are really quite sturdy, the wire of the shelves was about 1/8" thick and the locking mech for the shelves is really clever, sort of a tapered collar that is squeezed into the locking grooves on the legs by the weight of the shelf.

I wouldn't have them free standing mind, when you get a decent pile of beer on there they would be pretty toppy - they'll be getting screwed to a wall...

BrotherMalice said:
Lower the 2 upright bits on each end by half an inch and they will lock together for safer stacking too :)

So you'd have the full weight of the bottles on a couple inches of pine?

Will it be strong enough? If so that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'm planning on raising the corner bits by half an inch (rather than lowering) to achieve the same end goal but not at the expense of what you point out.

Nope, lower them. That way the verticals transmit all the force in compression. Wood's good at that.

If you lift them then all the force has to go though the fabric of the bottom crate. The force goes through the fixings and sides of the crate instead.

Unless you make special bottom crates where the verticals go right to the ground of course but that would be a pain.

Back