AG1 - BIAB Hobgoblin Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cooling

319484_10150970933112027_1698589402_n.jpg

Well done on your first AG BM :clap: :cool:

Just measured my gravity and its 1.062! Was aiming for 1.043.
If the wort's still warm that hydro reading will be out....keep that in mind, take another reading when you get home and post up the temp then we can convert it :thumb:
What was your target post boil volume...23ltrs?

Beersmith is telling me if you add water to 23ltrs you'll have 1.049 OG but it'll take 8ltrs to get back to 1.043. I guess adding the water would have helped cooling it down too.
The scummy film could be hop oils and break material, nothing to worry about.

BrotherMalice said:
Cool, will grab some bottled on my way home :)

I'm not sure what the current thinking is on bottled water but I remember it coming up in the past. Bottled water is certainly not sterile as most people think - ideally you would boil it first. Tap water is possibly more sterile because of the Chlorine treatment but then that Chlorine should ideally be removed (with a campden tablet - see other threads). Personally I use tap water for topping up. :thumb:

Without wishing to make it complicated, since you are only topping up with 8 litres or so of bottled water, it is probably easy enough to boil it in a pan first and then leave it to cool. Nothing stops you pitching the yeast ASAP though.

BrotherMalice said:
Ah OK, thats 1 less trip to the shop on the way home then :)

Will pitch the yeast once I have given it a good whisk to get some air into it while I am boiling the water, add the water once cooled and take another reading :thumb:

:thumb: - Remember to sanitise whatever you use to do the whisking :cheers:

Latest posts

Back