Beer crates

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-h

Reaction score
Does anyone know anywhere I can get beer crates from in the west yorks or Manchester area ideally ones that take 20 @ 500 ml bottles?

Have you seen the price of them ? especially wooden ones.
Plastic beer crates are usually available but watch out for the difference between milk crates and beer crates. E bay and Amazon usually have some for sale Or scrounge at your local pub/clubs etc.
If you are handy at DIY there is a plan somewhere on the forum for making your own wooden crates and very fine examples have been made by members.
Plastic bins are another cheap alternative and at the moment most stores Staples B&M Wilko's etc seem to be giving them away, they are very stackable, but usually need some internal divisions making to keep the bottles from falling over. Even cheaper are cardboard boxes. You can usually pick a few sturdy quality ones up every day from your local supermarket.

just made one of these all with recycled pallet strapping from my work, cost me some time stripping the pallets and a about 1.50 for 200 screws to fix them together,not all 200 screws in the one crate lol ,so i have my templates made for the sides,ends and bottom boards,now all i have to do is get cracking and turn the pile of wood into a stack of useful beer crates,oh and its easy to do. if anybody wants i will post the sizes up ,i have made them so that it will take76-78mm wide bottles and a segment to seperate each bottle. :cheers:

well done buy yourself a kit for saving yourself all that money... :hat:

I've made a crate too. I like the idea of using recycled wood. So far I used one of those wooden bathroom floor things. Just got aload of bed slats out of a skip which I'm going to turn into 12 bottle crates for Xmas presses.

ok here goes the sizes are as follows,uprights 300mm x4,end pieces 320mm x4,side pieces length can vary depending on the thickness of your uprights but mine were 560mm x4 ,bottom pieces 510mm x3, Dimensions of wood ie thickness and width: uprights were 45mmx25mm,all other pieces 75mmx20mm and i used 37mm screws and a drill to pilot hole them to stop splitting of the wood ,will post a pic when i get more time probably sunday.hope this is useful if its not clear enough tell me and i will try and explain it more :cheers:Oh forgot to put in the internal dimensions are 480mm x 320mm.

This is my practice effort all ready put to work:

DSC_0182.jpg

very nice,good idea if your going to a party or bbq and you dont want to lug 24 bottles with you ,mmmhh worth a closer look maybe make a few for myself. :thumb:

Back