Beer No-Brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjiver

Landlord.
Reaction score
Feeling very frustrated at the moment. Got back in the swing of brewing this year, but now we are moving house (bungalow actually). I cant take a risk of being in the middle of a boil when the estate agent rings with a buyer (the wife says), so I am down to my last few bottles of the good stuff and supplementing them with French lager (what a come down). Trouble is your own brew spoils you, and I dont like commercial bottled beer much. I am not really a pub drinker but I can see myself "nipping out" a bit more for the time being.!!
I will be going to a local brewing group this month, so I have got to save something to take. I will take the last bottle of my "wild hop" brew as its Incomparable!! (that is theres nothing to compare it with!!)

Surely you can get another done - even if the Agent rings with a buyer while you are brewing, you won't have sold it and exchanged/completed within two weeks!

And generally a buyer will wait 24hrs to see a property. Just get some bread baking and some coffee percolating to hide the smell the following day... ;)

So at the very worst, you'll have to pack a couple of boxes of bottles... Go on, get another on the go! :cheers:

For some buyers it might be a huge plus to know that the house has a history of homebrewing?

If a house I was viewing smelt of malt and hops I would be a very happy prospective buyer!

Could you brew a few kits rather than doing the full all grain brew, just as a stop gap? It would be a lot quicker and at least you'd have something to drink? :cheers:

I haven't got as far as AG myself, how long does the beer smell linger in the house and is this one of the things you're worried about? If this isn't an issue, you could start early in the morning, say 6am and you'd probably be done and cleared by lunch. Even if the agent called during the morning, is it likely that they'd want to come round immediately?

Yep - brew anyway I say... :thumb:

We sold our last house and I was still brewing regularly - people don't usually expect to get around in the next hour or so ( and as often as not the agent can't get you in anyway as their own diary is booked ).

Clearly the explanation to SWMBO is going to have to be better than that, but it's a start :whistle:

House selling is very competitive nowadays, people expect a lot, and you have to be ready within the hour (as we have found). I dont think its fair on the wife to put her on edge, as she does like the bungalow to be perfect. I can live with it for a while as I will have a brewing SHED! at our next place. THe place near us was a bit tatty and was on the market for 3 years!! Ours sold the next day but the guy is in a chain so we live in hope.

Latest posts

Back