Making Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_newton

Reaction score
Hi all

I have been home brewing using lager kits for about a year now on and off, and i have liked the results, however i am really tempted to try and make lager the proper way, ie without using a kit.

So i need a bit of help, well a lot of help lol, i really dont know where to start, is there any guides out there that tell me what i need equipment wise and is there ant step by step guides..

oh and also the average kit costs about £10 so after i have bought all the equipment would the ingredients cost more or less than an average kit??

Thanks everyone

Chris

chris_newton said:
the average kit costs about £10 so after i have bought all the equipment would the ingredients cost more or less than an average kit??
No! You'll spend more than that on ingredients . . . but the results will be so much better than from a kit.

No! You'll spend more than that on ingredients . . . but the results will be so much better than from a kit

He is not wrong.... and you will be able to brew all sorts of weird and wonderful things....... go on join the dark side...

Take a look at the main AG how to guide That will pretty much tune you in on what you need to get started.

You will need a Mash tun. I use a brew-bin with a homemade false bottom cost about 15 to make. A home made HLT which doubled up as a boiler about 30 40 tops if you make one with Tescle value kettle elements. And Im guessing you already have the odd fermenting bin.
Start from there and add as you go. There are all sorts of Guuci toys out there to help you . its up to you how many you want to get.
When we say it will cost more that is down to you and the hops yeasts etc you use. But at the bottom end you are only talking a few quid more per brew.

i am gunna join the dark side...well half join as i still intend to do kits, i know they are not the best but i do enjoy them

Linky winky

Lagers are a bit different to brew than ales.
I'm sure you already know this.

They are brewed using soft water, use a bottom fermenting yeast, are cool (cold?) fermented and traditionally have a period of rest called lagering.

The lager style varies between 8-45 IBU, and traditionally has a pale golden colour.
But the thing about home brewing is you can try anything you want, and mix styles to produce something you like.

Simple larger
Grain:
Uk Lager Malt 5kg
Hops:
Saaz 100g (2.8% AA)

13 Litre mash at 66*C for 1 hour.
Sparge to 27 litres
90 minute boil (should end up with 5 gallons/23 litres-ish after boil)

Hop additions:
25g 90 mins (9.3 IBU)
25g 30 mins (6.68 IBU)
25g 10 mins (1.73 IBU)
25g flame out/shut off (I don't know if this adds any IBU. Its an aroma addition)
Total IBU:17.71
EBC: 5.61 (light colour)

Estimated Pre Boil OG: 1.044
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.052
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated Alcohol By Volume: 4.94%

Ferment at 10-15*C for two weeks using lager yeast.
Then lager at 0-8*C for 3 weeks +.

Good news Chris, you wont regret it, I belive the kits are a great introduction to brewing, after all thats how most of us start, I'm waiting for the winter to arrive and I'll be into brewing larger again and I'll do a video for it, I must add a cooling system to my FV :oops: , have a look in videos of your brewdays to get a gist of the procedure. There is lots of good info on here and the guide shown above is excellent.
Bru

Back