Sweeteners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used granulated Splenda (it was sitting in the back of my cupboards unused after an Atkins fad). :D

I brewed a hippy juice to mainly practice back-sweetening. This is what I discovered.

• Splenda is very good in this instance as it did not leave an aftertaste (which I had expected).
    Go easy with it. I put in 4 teaspoons into a DJ and it ended up medium-sweet, a bit too sweet for me.
    It's better to not put in enough than too much, you can't take it out once you've put it in.
    I was very pleased that I had practiced before tampering with my apple wine.

So I would definitely recommend practicing with an experimental WOW or hippy juice to discover how much is enough. But this has made a real difference to my wines, before I just drank the dryest ones with lemonade!

If you want sweet carbonated cider then why not use Hambleton Bard cider yeast with sweetener, its an all in one yeast and sweetener, I have used it many times with no aftertaste whatsoever and its as simple as adding your yeast.

Buster said:
If you want sweet carbonated cider then why not use Hambleton Bard cider yeast with sweetener, its an all in one yeast and sweetener, I have used it many times with no aftertaste whatsoever and its as simple as adding your yeast.
Its too late for that its been in the FV for over a week!! :?

Kinleycat said:
Buster said:

Maybe a thought for the future :thumb:

Buster said:

Fairly certain the addition is sucralose, which is what I have anyway :)

Buster said:
Kinleycat said:
Buster said:

Maybe a thought for the future :thumb:
Deffo!! :thumb:

ScottM said:
Buster said:

Fairly certain the addition is sucralose, which is what I have anyway :)

Cheers for that ScottM, I Emailed HB to ask for the type of sweetener they use in the yeast but they would not say.

Kinleycat said:
Sweetex - Sodium Saccharin??

how does sodium saccharin fare as a homebrew sweetener? I noticed sweetener tablets in our local shop, by a different brand name but there were 300 of them for £1.39, seems a bargain if they work. I might nab one from a cafe next time I'm out to have a try!

Gayle said:
Kinleycat said:
Sweetex - Sodium Saccharin??

how does sodium saccharin fare as a homebrew sweetener? I noticed sweetener tablets in our local shop, by a different brand name but there were 300 of them for £1.39, seems a bargain if they work. I might nab one from a cafe next time I'm out to have a try!
This is what i am seeking an answer for, i got 600 from B & M for £1.69 yesterday and each tablet represents a 5g teaspoon full of sweetener.
Nice and simple.................................................if its suitable! :hmm:

Saccharin is an older sweetener and is supposed to have more of an aftertaste than newer ones but it depends on the individual. I don't see it would be a problem so long as you yourself think they taste OK. I'd buy them and dissolve one to the equivalent concentration in water and taste it.

I can confirm having now used it four brews and tasted three there is no funny taste with it and i will continue to use it for back sweetening. :thumb:

Some people are very sensitive to saccharin and aspartame. I know, I'm one of them - I can even smell it!! I really cannot drink stuff with it in - it just tastes sickly sweet and always as an astringent, pungent, chemical taste. Horrid.

Sucralose on the other hand I cannot distinguish from sugar. It's my back-sweetener of choice for that reason. :thumb:

Cheers for that ScottM, I Emailed HB to ask for the type of sweetener they use in the yeast but they would not say.

It's written on the packet :mrgreen:

E950 = Acesulfame potassium. 200 times sweeter than sugar to give you an idea of how much to use.

I'm planning to use some left over lactose to backsweeten my cider. Any ideas on how much I should use for a medium-dry finish?

Back