Homebrew - My new obsession

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblair1979

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm about to embark on my next main hobby and I'm very excited to get going.

I'm a pretty chilled out person but when i pick up a hobby I tend to get a bit obsessive and really go deep into it. I really like to do things properly and enjoy getting good results.

Previous hobbies include, Tropical Fishkeeping (on a hiatus due to having a kid and not enough space), Coffee (Ended up buying a Nespresso machine which killed this one!) and my most recent one which is Pizza making (ongoing!!). My aim is to cook nice pizzas in the garden (if we get a summer) with my outdoor oven and to serve homemade beer!

I always fancied trying homebrewing and i finally got my first kit for my Christmas.

This one:
woodfordes-home-brew-wherry_medium.jpg

I also got a starter kit with a fermenting vessel and a pressure barrel.

I like drinking real ales in CAMRA style pubs so this seems like a nice place to start. I'm a huge fan of wheat beers from Belgium and Germany. These will be my ultimate aim.

Hope to find some great info on here and to ultimately help to help others :thumb:

hi sblair, have tried all those hobbies, minus the coffee, believe me, this one is sooooo much more rewarding, little steps first to get ya footing!!
Welcome to the forum!

Hello and Welcome :cheers:

There are plenty of 'How to' guides for the first time brewers and plenty of people you can ask for advice.

Good luck, Wherry is a cracker of a beer.

Welcome to the forum Sblair

sblair1979 said:
and my most recent one which is Pizza making (ongoing!!). My aim is to cook nice pizzas in the garden (if we get a summer) with my outdoor oven and to serve homemade beer!

I like the idea of that one. There are quite a few cooks and bakers on here and there is a bread baking thread. I would be interested to see your oven :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
Welcome to the forum Sblair

sblair1979 said:
and my most recent one which is Pizza making (ongoing!!). My aim is to cook nice pizzas in the garden (if we get a summer) with my outdoor oven and to serve homemade beer!

I like the idea of that one. There are quite a few cooks and bakers on here and there is a bread baking thread. I would be interested to see your oven :thumb: :thumb:

I wanted a fully kitted clay oven but i was about to move house so i went for a cast iron one as a temporary measure.

Pizza-Ovens_700w.jpg

My missus spent a year :shock: (13 months actually) finding a house she liked so this went into storage while we stayed in a small rented house.

Now i finally have a new house with a decent garden I plan to set it up again when the weather improves. Of course i modified the original with some terracotta tiles to increase heat retention. The last time i fired it up i got it up to 370 degrees C and made a lovely pizza in about 4 mins. I cant wait to get back into that again in the spring. Beer is definately a complimentry hobby to this one.

Didn't know you could but those I have seen the premade italian dome ones and obviously plans for clay ovens and brick ovens but they seem quite a good halfway house. :hmm: :hmm:

I would love to cook my bread in a wood fired oven.

Now there is another obsession she may not like.....................

Thank god she doesn't know about the brewing :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy said:
Didn't know you could but those I have seen the premade italian dome ones and obviously plans for clay ovens and brick ovens but they seem quite a good halfway house. :hmm: :hmm:

I would love to cook my bread in a wood fired oven.

Now there is another obsession she may not like.....................

Thank god she doesn't know about the brewing :lol: :lol:

Like i said i've only cooked one pizza in that oven but it did look promising and there was lots of heat in there. I cook fresh pizza every saturday for the family in our kitchen oven buts its nowhere near hot enough for my liking.

Thats one obsession i get no grief for as everyone loves pizza :D

Latest posts

Back