Wherry Comparison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbob

Regular.
Reaction score
So, I kegged my first Wherry on Tues and got straight on and brewed up another Wherry straight away. The first one I made to spec as it is the first Wherry I've done, it started at about 1040 and went down to about 1012. The second Wherry I added 500g of Muntons Enhancer to see what that might add, it started at about 1045 and bubbling away happily now. Looking forward to trying them out. I think for my next trick I'll add a different yeast strain...

The Wherry is a fairly cheap 2 can kit in comparison to others and is great as it is out of the box.
But because it is fairly cheap and very good quality it does lend it's self to tinkering!
I would be more inclined to brew the 2 cans seperately, that way you could tinker a twice the rate. ;)

I disagree......its designed as a toucan kit, make it as a toucan kit and enjoy it.

piddledribble said:
I disagree......its designed as a toucan kit, make it as a toucan kit and enjoy it.

I don't disagree with that, in fact i totally agree with you piddle but the OP is intent on tinkering so just gave an option that would, well, give him more options! :tongue: :lol:

tinker with extract or AG...kits are balanced out just to make that type of beer by the company and don't give much leeway for things to go wrong...
and wherry is bloody lovely as it is......

Mind you 50 litres of a wherry " clone " has turned out bloody luvely as well... :D

Well, I do want to move to AG eventually as I find opening a couple of cans a bit cheaty. It is convenient and does make very acceptable beer at a good cost but its like instant curry for tea when I like making up my own spice blends and recipes etc. I just need to get a bit more kit.

As for the Wherry I'll continue brewing it toucan stylee I'm just interested if my tinkering will make much difference, and maybe give a bit of experience when I do go AG...

A good way to tinker with kits is to get a one can kit and steep some grains or do a mini mash and boil some hops for aroma, it doesnt take that long and you wont need alot of equiptment, you will have a pan big enough in your kitchen already. Its a good way of getting used to mashing and timings and temps on a small scale before you make the jump.

Latest posts

Back