Hydrometer reading

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi folks,

Ive just taken a hydro reading on a meter from wilkos. It has a blue area with start wine on it and my reading is above that reading on the 110 no decimal point anywhere! I threw some pomegranate juice from Lidl (3L) + 1kg of sugar and some wine yeast in a DJ last friday, I didn't take an O.G reading (silly newbie error).

Now, what does that reading mean? Is it still too early? Ive just done a first rack off the lees and took the reading. Any help from the more experienced would be greatly appreciated :wha:

Sounds odd to me...

Your OG would have been around 1.100. I don't know those hydrometers I'm afraid but 110 seems a strange number...

When you say "above" do you mean higher numerically or the surface of your sample is above the blue bit? i.e. the blue bit is underwater?

Actually, I've found a picture of it... its a pretty standard Stevenson Reeves job.

0022575_l.jpg

Now, that 110 bit is a specific gravity of 1.110 which is about what you'd expect if no fermentation of what you started with had happened.

I think your yeast might be duff... Where did you get it? Is it in date? What else did you lash into your DJ - campden tabs or anything?

You have one of those coloured jobbies that are hard to read. Ignore the colours completely. At the top end you will see a wide black band and a yellow area. The black band indicates 1.000. The rest may be marked with just the figure above 1.000 so your reading of 110 will be 1.110. The red area is the part usually read for beer and in the region of 1.010-1.015 or there abouts. Above the black line is for wine and will go down to .980 although .990 is the normal finished reading. Try to get an un coloured version from a HB shop. Much easier to read and keep this one for a spare. You will need it one day. :grin:

Thanks for the speedy reply guys!

I don't think it is the yeast, I split one sachet and wacked the other half in a WOW turbo cider/wine thingy :whistle: anywho that's bubbling like a bubbly thing on national bubblin week :wha:

I'm just gettin a yeast warmed up ready to launch into the feckin thing and go for take 2! just out of curiosity would the sugar at the bottom disappear even if it weren't fermenting?

Thanx for the crash course in the old floaty mebob I understand it more now :hmm:

Back