So im taking the leap!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem, happy to help! Me and SWMBO go upto Huddersfield quite regularly. Have you ever been to The Grove at Springwood? That's the pub that got me really into ales! Have you been?

eqape5aq.jpg

What I got from Saturday night :-) I didn't want kopparberg bottles, threw 100 bottles out.
If I could save them all I would but my space is being over run.

Hi Cameron, looks like you have already had a lot of good advice. For your stout how about using brown sugar for the barrel/bottle fermentation? I do and it makes the stout creamy and firm.

Bought some muscovado for that exact thing. :-) hopefully it will taste nice, got the temps down to 20 and it's steady there again.

Any more tips?

You really need to get yourself over to the grove. Such a good atmosphere and loads of ales, my number one pub when in the Hudd!
Your collection of bottles has really gone up! I could happily take some of your hands if you keep getting plenty.
What sort of activity did you have/are you getting from your airlock? Any over flows?
I brewed a Guinness clone Friday overnight (first overnight mash) that's doing pretty well at the minute looking forward to having a few of those!
Any ideas on what your next kit might be?
As for tips, when your ready for transferring it into your keg try and keep it a nice steady flow without introducing any oxygen if possible otherwise you may find it doesn't keep as long, but as your first kit I'm sure it will disappear very quickly! Or if you are bottling it maybe think about getting a little bottler they are about 5-8 depending on where you get it from.

No head on the brew now, looks like no activity at all. Don't think the seal was tight enough. I'm going to get a tap to put a bottler on.

If you want kopparberg bottles we get loads of them. I'll save some for you but would need collecting ASAP maybe Sunday or something.

Maybe do a cervaza however it's spelt. I don't have an airlock yet. Just put the lid on. Somethings Defo happening as the lid has bulged.

Didn't have any airlock in stock.

My goal is to make something like guinness.

I had 2 demijohns at my mums house that i used as a money box. Took one, cleaned it all out. And Made a hooch brew out of it. As you can tell by all the green bottles, alot of staff + customers love hooch and we got talking on how you would make one. So here is what we came up with :p

I just used 15 lemons, juiced them on my food processor. 600ml~
500g sugar - Wilkinsons didnt have any brewing sugar :(
Boiled the lemon zest, the empty shells, the juice and the sugar together.
Some general use wine yeast.
Yeast nutrients.

Just put it in the DJ and put airlock on it. Hope it actually works :p

It's really early (4 days) i took a sample from my FV of the stout and it's at 1010. I'm going to wait and see if it stays or gets lower.

Need to sanitise all them damn bottles now :p

Back