woodfordes wherry beer kit approx abv 4.5%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled this morning after 3 weeks in FV. Nice and clear already and tasting nice. Got 36 500ml bottles and one 330ml. ABV around 4.2% prior to bottle conditioning.

Looking at 9th November to try this after 2 weeks indoors and 4 weeks in the shed.

Mines been in the bottle about 3wks now. It's my 3rd Wherry and I think the best I've done. Had a cheeky bottle last night, it's crystal clear and already tastes great and the best thing is I've got a whole Festival Landlord kit to drink beforehand :)

Last time I made wherry it all worked out well, started a new batch last night and this morning nothing had happened, last time it was foaming and bubbling away nicely.
It was reading 17 degrees this morning, without a water bath and aquarium heater is best I can do, is this too cold? If I wait until Saturday before I can get a trug to sit the fv in is it too late? Will I need more yeast?

Anyone have any idea how to do a Woodford Wherry as a partial.
You could try an unhopped Coopers extract as the pale malt plus some crystal.
The crucial factor I imagine is what hops do you use. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

i bottled this on 22nd of june, so exactly 4 months ago. i was enjoying it after 2 months and said il leave my last few bottles till christmas. i couldnt resist. just had a bottle now. this beer really is the **** isnt it.

This is my second kit brew. I started on Sunday, ended up with an OG sitting at about 1.040. A day after pitching the yeast the batch never really took off. I had a decent krausen ring by day 2, but on day three now there is nearly nothing. It was sitting at about 26 degrees for the first day and a half, however I got it down to 23 right now. Should I have any concerns or am I just being a typical newbie?

EDIT (24 October 13):

Day 4, I tested the gravity and it was reading around 1.015 which puts it at around 3.3%. The taste was excellent but this seems a bit low compared to the other WW kits people have posted. Thoughts?

Can I ask for anyone’s help? I have created a wort with a specific gravity of 1034. According to my recipe should be about 1042 ( final target is 1009). Am I going to end up with something with low alcohol content like session beer? If I add extra sugar at priming stage will this top up the alcohol or will fermentation at this stage be largely over and I just end up with sweet beer? Or should I add extra sugar now? I pitched yeast 24 hours ago and it’s bubbling away merrily.

1034 to 1009 will give you about 3.3%

The amount of sugar used for priming won't increase the abv much.

How did you make the wort?

Thanks for help. The wort consists of 2 cans of unhopped Coopers Amber Malt extract plus 500g of Crystal barley grains boiled with 50g of Liberty hops. This is a rough approximation of Graham Wheeler recipe for Adnams Explorer. I cut out the part specifying 170g+ sugar which was probably a mistake.

I am only one day into fermentation and it’s bubbling away so perhaps I can still add sugar before we get to priming stage?

Latest posts

Back