Munstons Premium Cellar Merlot ABV Worries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

**muffti**

Reaction score
I was pleased to buy this in Wilkinsons yesterday, reduced from £37 to £20 for a 30 bottle kit. This kit was straight forward and no sugar was needed with it. I followed the instructions to the letter, and once made up the temperature was 22. I am worried that my wine will be very weak as the hydrometer only reads 1030. I like my wine at least 12% but don't know what to do. Do I leave it alone or add some sugar? Help!

Thanks Rob,

I didn't think it needed a good stir because I used a jet hose to fill the fermenter and it filled up rather fast, and assumed it was well mixed. I am well chuffed with it now, its reading was 1080 and is a lovely dark deep red :D

wickid! it's a common problem, but one worth checking up on. it's pretty hard to go wrong with kits unless you made the volume up wrong :lol:

I hot footed it back to Wilkinsons and bought the Shiraz one too, and now have this one brewing also. They have now sold out in my local store and they don't have them on line.

**muffti** said:
I hot footed it back to Wilkinsons and bought the Shiraz one too, and now have this one brewing also. They have now sold out in my local store and they don't have them on line.
I managed to get a muntons shiraz and a merlot in the wilko sale. The chap on the desk told me it's now a discontinued line. I sincerely hope this is not the case.

stinky britches said:
........ told me it's now a discontinued line ........
This seems to be the general vibe everywhere, that Wilkinson are no longer dealing with Muntons. :(

Pete said:
This seems to be the general vibe everywhere, that Wilkinson are no longer dealing with Muntons. :(
As much as I was pleased to pick up the two Muntons kits for 20 quid each, it would be a real shame if Wilko stopped stocking their products.

The Wilco kits are in fact relabelled Muntons Mondego range and rubbish. You can see the line of thinking. Their typical customer is more likely to pick up a 30 bottle wine kit at £20, weighing 1.7 kg than a £37 kit at 6.8 kg., which is exactly what I did. I only bought the premium kit when the price went down to £18. When it went back to full price, I wasn't interested, and I guess I wasn't the only one, so they are shifting it now at £20 to clear remaining stock. But it seems they are having trouble shifting their own brand as they are now giving away a kilo of brewing sugar with each kit, although you still need to buy another 2.5 kg of sugar on top. The kit contains the equivalent of less than 3 litres of grape juice!
The premium shiraz is the first of their reds I've bought. Early signs are that it is too acidic, at pH 3.1, when a typical commercial shiraz is around 3.5.

Back