AG#1 Pittsy's Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well, after a rather stressfull but interesting day I have finally completed my first All Grain brew! With a big thanks to Pittsy who helped me so much before the day came.

Its Pittsy's Hefe. Here is a screenshot of the brew:
SmEfxer.gif

The water I used was asda smart price, 36l in total accounting for all my dead space. As recommended by aleman, I added 1tsp gypsum to the mash and one to boil.... oh, ****, hang on... I accidently added one tsp to the mash (great), and 1tsp to the sparge water :oops: :oops: :oops: ... hope that wouldn't effect things too much :doh:

1.) Sterilised everything by running and thin bleach solution through everything...
C0OaKt2.jpg

2.) Enjoyed a pint of the coopers aussie bitter whilst I waited!
1bcXcnp.jpg

3.) Accidently forgot to add boiling water to the mashtun to warm it up before adding my water and grains :oops: , and also added the grains before the strikewater, but I think I got away with it as there didn't seem to be any clumping as I mixed well.
ap5nOkm.jpg

4.) Weighed out my hops into mugs, 25g start of boil, 15g @ 15min.
89OGvt8.jpg

4a.) Added 18l of strike water, this went right up to the brim, just about managed to fit the top on the mash tun!

5.) Took a reading, my mash was at 65c, 1c below my target of 66'c. I put this down to not warming up the mashtun before adding the grains and water, I will remember this next time! I wrapped my mashtun in a blanket and left it for 90 mins.
YeZDMeN.jpg

6.) I drew off the liquor until it was clear of bits then poured it back into the tun, took about 5 litres to do so.
7lWxSI2.jpg

7.) Started sparging, tin foil with several holes in it. One side of the tub seemed to have a lot of raised grain on it. Next time I may give the mashtun a shake before I set it down to even out the grain (maybe do this before the mash?)
P1fB6e1.jpg

A1ssRmt.jpg

8.) Temp near the start of the sparging was 64/65. I'm presuming this will result in a slightly drier higher ABV beer. (Temp of strike water was a relatively constant 78c)
PC3SP1n.jpg

9.) Temp of the mash dropped to around 62'c near the end of the mash , despite strike water being 78'c
XeMPq4V.jpg

10.) After the mash was finished I was left with a lot of wort, well, I think I was. Had to drain the cube once (into the boiler) to accomodate the rest of the wort coming out the mashtun. I syphoned the rest into my boiler.
Xdr8M4R.jpg

11.) Was left with this much wort
2L67NdH.jpg

12.) After half an hour or so, wort came to a nice rolling boil and I added my hops at the stages mentioned earlier:
kGj7L0s.jpg

hNlcPrE.jpg

13.) While the wort was coming to the boil, I actually nipped off to the shop for a couple of ales, this one in particular was a few months out of date, but tasted just fine... :mrgreen:
a6eg8SS.jpg

ao1tdKc.jpg

14.) Stupidly, during the boil, I got rid of the rest of my wort that was in the cube, rather than adding it all to the boil... I think I am now left with a few litres short as I forgot a lot of liquid would be left behind in the boiler :oops:
ZIntalo.jpg

Looks quite short... (I'm not sure of the quantity these cubes hold):
z7SOCSz.jpg

11.) Anyway, newbie mistake over, the rest of the wort is cooling in a bin in the back garden with a few water bottles that were frozen added to the bin too...
S8SxfTj.jpg

Before I go to bed tonight I'll put the cube in my brew fridge, drop it to 2'c (or as near as I can get) then bring back up to 20'c to pitch my yeast starter.

I hope this is OK as a brewday thread as I've never done one before :oops: :D

Thank you all for your help along the way :thumb:

Theres no need to take it down to 2degrees C, just take it to 20 and pitch.

Belter said:
I read a convincing article that suggested it wasnt how fast you chilled the wort, but how low you got it that was advantageous. I'm going to give it a go...

Can't find the article though :hmm:

This is your first All Grain right? Don't overcomplicate it. I have made countless tasty homebrews and never ever done that. I may chill lower in future with my plate chiller to get a better cold break but wouldn't try it in a brew fridge (Unless I read that it massively improved my beer).

crE said:
Belter said:
I read a convincing article that suggested it wasnt how fast you chilled the wort, but how low you got it that was advantageous. I'm going to give it a go...

That was me that said that... ;)

It's from here: http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/FileC ... 5b1%5d.pdf

Page 4, list item 3, near the bottom of the page. :thumb:

calumscott said:
crE said:
Belter said:

That was me that said that... ;)

It's from here: http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/FileC ... 5b1%5d.pdf

Page 4, list item 3, near the bottom of the page. :thumb:

That's it! I knew I wasn't crazy. Cheers Calum :thumb:

It's fair to say you will have a clearer beer but i'd say it was an unnecessary step for AG1 as clarity is purely aesthetics. Fair play to you though. Good luck :)

Belter said:
i'd say it was an unnecessary step for AG1 as clarity is purely aesthetics

More so given it's a hefeweizen!! :lol:

Seriously though, your first few AG brews, although you will get really great beer, should be seen as a learning experience so going through all the steps is cool. :thumb:

Looking good , thanks for sharing pictures . Pitching the yeast at 15c is ideal for a hefe , this will stress the yeast which in this case is good for more esters then raise temp for fermenting .
Remember a hefeweizen is the quickest beer from mash to glass :party:

Same basic recipe as you gave me pittsy?

MUST get a bigger batch on soon. This stuff may well condition quickly but it really doesn't last!!! :drink: :drunk: :D

Well done, welcome to the Dark Side!

Must say I never bother to sanitize equipment that touches the wort before the boil, you could save your self some bother there. Also invest in a non rinse sanitizer, think I would have gone mad carrying on with bleach based sanitizer!

Should be a good one, post us some picks of the ferment, should be spectacular with a wheat beer. T

Thanks all!

Pittsy, my yeast starter is currently sitting around 20c... should this need to be 15'c too?

It'll be actually around 40hrs the yeast starter has been going, and looking like I might be shy of 20l wort, I may have a violent fermentation :eek:

Well done, and congrats on your AG1. Great picture diary of your first brew day.

You should get the yeast or brew to the same temp if possible , stressing the yeast (as in pitching cold ) may be good for the style but shocking the yeast (sudden temp changes) isn't .

IIRC 5degrees is what you should be 'within' for pitching yeast? I'm sure it varies with each strain but I seem to recall reading five degree increments.

I may struggle to get them both at the same temp. I'm raising the temp of the brew in my fridge but this is the temp of the wort, not ambient fridge temp.

I can rely on my room being 20c give or take, so I think I'll just leave the yeast starter in the room and bring the wort up to 20c in the brew fridge. Then syphon from the cube into the FV (its a carboy without tap unfortunately but I've got a turkey baster on order for easy hydro readings) then aerate and pitch the yeast.

I have my lager in the other bucket with tap unfortunately. And this is the only bucket that will fit in my other fridge for lagering purposes.

I think that makes sense

Pittsy - what yeast do you recommend and what is your preferred fermentation schedule I'd like to have a go at this in the near future

:cheers

Well, the wort managed to chill to 7c, now almost ready to pitch the yeast starter.

OG came out bang on 1.046 just as beersmith suggested! Beginners luck I guess :thumb:

Will be pitching when it reaches 20c (at 22 at the mo )... or should I just pitch now?

Back