AG#1 Pittsy's Hefeweizen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I pitched just around 20c.

Bubbling in the airlock already, must be the starter I made!

The brew came to exactly 20litres. I swear it would have been 23l if I had threw that blasted wort down the drain :oops:

I'm not too sure how to measure efficiency, or even what it is :wha:

there are calculators online crE, you just measure your final volume and OG, and it tells you how well you extracted sugars from the grains :) but if it came out exactly as intended, then I assume 75% which is beersmith default!

crE said:
Great stuff.... I want to do another brew now!! I also want shiny things :oops:

Hahahaha!!! It's a lot of fun AG brewing isn't it??? Careful with the shiny - it breeds as quickly as FVs do...

brewtim said:
Pittsy - what yeast do you recommend and what is your preferred fermentation schedule I'd like to have a go at this in the near future

:cheers
Hi , my fav yeast is wlp380 . The traditional wlp300 is nice but wlp380 has a lovely vanilla/clove with banana aroma , when used it smells so good i could stick my head in the fv .
I have up to now brewed my hefes at 22c (which will have more esters ) and mashed a certain way to have more clove but i have a batch ready to bottle that was first cooled to 15c , pitched yeast then fermented at 17.5 c following this advice http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... sbier_Hell

And this is what pittsy's hefeweizen is all about...

A pittsy's and a pit...

ada9etem.jpg

:D

crE said:
Is this in similar taste to the recipe pittsy?

http://db.tt/zkK8GaGe
Erdinger is ok , quite bland really . If someone has never tried a wheat beer then that's the 1 to try as other brands may be too full of flavour for someone not into wheats , I used to love Erdinger but after trying other brands (and brewing full flavoured wheat beer) it is well ... bland .
In short yes it's a wheat beer but yours should have much more clove and especially banana .
Hefes that i can find in some shops are , (and in my fav order)
weihenstephan ......hefeweizen
weihenstephan.......dunkelweizen
Franziskaner ..........hefeweizen
Paulaner ................hefeweizen
Erdinger.................hefeweizen

pittsy said:
crE said:

Erdinger is ok , quite bland really . If someone has never tried a wheat beer then that's the 1 to try as other brands may be too full of flavour for someone not into wheats , I used to love Erdinger but after trying other brands (and brewing full flavoured wheat beer) it is well ... bland .
In short yes it's a wheat beer but yours should have much more clove and especially banana .
Hefes that i can find in some shops are , (and in my fav order)
weihenstephan ......hefeweizen
weihenstephan.......dunkelweizen
Franziskaner ..........hefeweizen
Paulaner ................hefeweizen
Erdinger.................hefeweizen
Great stuff pittsy :thumb:

Well I enjoyed the pint nonetheless so hopefully mine should be even nicer :thumb:

Fermentation is going nuts already. Hasn't even been 24 hours... looks like I may have an explosion coming!

pittsy said:
crE said:

Thanks for the fermentation info. I shared an Erdinger with the missus yesterday and she said it was bland and I agreed ( maybe we shouldn't have drunk a Fullers golden pride beforehand which is one of the tastiest commercials I've drunk in along time) so I'll certainly want to brew a flavoursome wheat beer by treating the yeast unkindly :-)

Well, I might have treated my yeasties a little too kindly!!

Around 24 hours after pitching the starter to my 20l of wort - here is the current stage its at...

rxH9B5E.jpg

yf3EnzA.jpg

Fw1gcoC.jpg

MiIAXAe.jpg

I've currently left it like this
efGj30Q.jpg

That is the only way the bubbles stop reaching for the sky!

Is it advisable I can leave the lid open like that for now?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

How long would I typically expect this ferocity to last?

:eek:

Nice!!!

That is one healthy ferment!

You could fit a blow off tube. So put your lid back on, shove a tube down the airlock hole/grommet and the other end into a bottle of water at floor level.

It's still an airlock - just a bit more... industrial?

Hmmm linky not working for me but if you search "Brewing TV - Open Fermentation" you get the episode. They say it increases ester and phenol flavours is the beer.

Here's my ferment:

6yzahuzu.jpg

Lovely! I would watch it but SWMBO is trying to watch the telly!

Can't wait to taste this beer.

Pittsy, how much do you prime? Bearing in mind I have 20l

Back