Re: St Peters Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a bottle of this a few weeks back that I got from my LHBS' bottle swap. Very smooth but just a bit - boring - for my taste. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just not something I'd fall over myself trying to get to another bottle of. Lacked the depth and complexity that the Coopers Irish Stout done with a kilo of XDark DME has, but that's in no way a bad thing.

ill be doing my second of these this week im going to do it with some honey added might throw some dark muscavdo in as well as ive some in the cupboard that needs used up , should make it an interesting brew :drink:

just set this one away again this time i used 900g of honey and 300g of dark muscavado sugar , OG 1055 so if it finishes at 1010 like the last one it should turn out at 6/6.5 ABV smells very nice indeed :drink:

I also started this today. Brewed to 20L, added 500grams dark muscavado sugar. OG 1050. Should make 4.5% if it drops to 1014. Bit stronger if it drops lower.

just checked on mine and its taken off like a rocket lol a good 9 inches of foam has formed overnight , sitting between 18 and 20 degrees :) smells even better today hehe :drink:

the initial krausen up went down yesterday and a second one came up last night not as dense though more light and bubbly lol now smells like mix of crunchy bars and chocolate banana milkshake , cant wait to try this one :D

down to 1011 which makes it approx 5.8 ABV , still bubbling away but slower so prolly come down a little more , still smells really nice and tastes very good even though its young :grin:

kentmark said:
I also started this today. Brewed to 20L, added 500grams dark muscavado sugar. OG 1050. Should make 4.5% if it drops to 1014. Bit stronger if it drops lower.

Been sat at 1.014 for a 3 days now, no sign of activity. Racked into bottling FV today. Had a sneaky taste, WOW!!!! I could have easily drunk a pint there and then and it's had no bottle conditioning yet! Bottling tonight, looking forward to the finished product now.

been steady at 1010 for a couple of days so ill be bottling at the weekend very drinkable and reminds me of murphys a bit dry n bitter but much stronger lol and a very nice mouth feel not watery at all , not much honey smell about it now which is a bit disappointing but ill get over it , going to try the first one on the 17th of march ;) :cheers: going to prime the bottles with maple syrup

After 2 weeks to carb-up in the warm, mine has now been cold conditioning for a further 5 weeks. I have been tasting the odd bottle since it was 1 week old (after carbing up) and the initial flavours have definitely mellowed making it a really nice rounded pint (only around 15 bottles left now - How did that happen?!). I will definitely do this one again.

The draw of other stouts yet to be tried is also calling me in too though....

I have just ordered the Thomas Coopers Stout kit and one other I can't recall, but haven't yet brewed any other stouts to compare to this one. I brewed my 'straight' out of the tin and found the flavour quite full anyway, so probably wouldn't mess around with it too much if I did it again. Can't see any reason not to add some treacle if you fancied though! ;)

mattyhall22 said:
I've put an order in for a few kits and this is one of them, I did a Coopers stout with a tin of treacle, would it does this kit good or not? :cheers:

The only way to find out is to try but bear in mind the St Peters is a two can kit so there's a little less scope for this kind of thing. You'd boost the ABV by doing that. It's meant to come out at about 5%.

i did mine with 900g of honey and 300g of dark muscavdo sugar i put only half the hop powder in though as i thought it a little over powering in the last one of these i did , the smells while fermenting were absolutely amazing honey comb crunchy s and banana milkshakes lol , the honey hasnt made much difference at the finish other than increased the ABV to 6.5 i would say its improved the mouth feel for sure and made it a little dryer , i bottled up yesterday 34 500ml bottles primed with 5ml of maple syrup now the waiting game :D ill do another one of these later in the year but probs go the other way and use maple syrup in the ferment and prime with honey , just try adding what you like i like honey so added that :cheers:

kentmark said:
kentmark said:

Been sat at 1.014 for a 3 days now, no sign of activity. Racked into bottling FV today. Had a sneaky taste, WOW!!!! I could have easily drunk a pint there and then and it's had no bottle conditioning yet! Bottling tonight, looking forward to the finished product now.

This gets better and better. Just poured one of these. Nice head. Good conditioning. Great flavours, reminds me of the shepherd neame double stout a bit. Should only get better and better in the bottle!

I know I should leave it alone, but had another couple of these on Sunday evening for St.Paddys day. Getting better and better all the time. Really nice head now and good head retention. Lovely complex flavours. Good strength to it without taking over everything else. Very drinkable!

opened one on Saturday its got a nice psshht when opening and a nice head that lasts , starts of with a little sweetness which is probably the maple syrup i primed with then a nice bitterness , going to have a couple tonight so ill report if its any better but well happy with it so far and the first one ive not had to use the pocket beer engine to get a head , the rest are getting put away for another few weeks which can only improve it no end :cheers: ill see if i can get some pics up tomorrow :thumb:

tried a few last night wow opened them and it shot out the bottle like a fountain lol so need to be chilled before opening some of the sweetness has gone so a little more bitter very nice though and no major hangover even though its 6.5 % , only got 7 left :-( which im going to try and ignore for another month or so , prolly do the same mix with my next one but might do a coopers stout with the honey next time :cheers:

Back