How to keep your tap clean in a water bath?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatyre

Reaction score
Hi all, as Autumn (fall) arrives and the temperature drops I will need to use a water bath for my next brew. I have a standard fermenting bucket with the tap at the bottom. I bought a large bucket which allows about 4" of water around the fermenter when placed inside, and an aquarium heater/thermostat. My question is this, how do you sanitise the tap after it's been emersed in stagnant water for two weeks or more? Do you need to do anything before placing the fermenter into the water? cheers

Hi , best get a 2nd fv with no tap and use that , so then you transfer to tap fv when it's time to bottle , less sediment gets into your brew and you can batch prime at the same time .

just a small amount of thin bleach in the water will be ok.
I use to ferment in a bucket that doesn't have a tap fitted which sat in the water bath then there was no problem of any contamination thro the tap. I syphoned it after fermenting into a bucket with a tap to rest for a week or so before bottling.

cheers guys, I have another fermenter, it too has a tap but I can syphon the wort from the one in the water bath into the second fermenter. That would work out well as i'm thinking of brewing it for 2 weeks then syphoning to the second fermenter anyway (leaving the crud in the first) and adding a bag of hops for another week, then syphoning back into the first fermenter (leaving behind any more crud) and batch priming. Its a coopers Ipa so hopefully i'll end up with a nice clear hoppy brew!

I've never bothered doing anything, as by the time you use the tap to rack into secondary the beer is past its most vunerable. I've had my beer sat in a carboy for 2+ weeks after doing this and i've never had an infection from it.

I just fill the kettle, hold a pot under the tap and poured the boiled water over it, I do that anyways to sanitise the tap even if its not been in a water bath.

I sanitise my taps using a squirt of Star San solution from a spray bottle before connecting the tube.

Back