how to measure density?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rui

Reaction score
how should I do to remove a sample of beer for measuring density to see if I can bottle already? the tap? or open the fermenter?

cheers :cheers:

If you're going to bottle it from that FV, take the sample by removing the lid and that way if it isn't ready yet, the tap will stay clean until it is ready.

Matt

Welcome to the Forum Matt.
As rui says, take a sample from the top to measure the FG, the tap will be full of yeast.
For bottling, would recommend you rack into another bucket, that way you wont be stirring up the lees each bottle.

EDIT: Sorry, got the names reversed. :oops:

Thanks for the tips!!! i will use another bucket when its time to bottle.
i brew it since 5 days, and i would like to check it after 8 days to how is it!!

its a wit bier - brewferm tarwebier- where i added 50% malt and 50% candy sugar, i would like to know, if this will influence/change the density in the end of fermentation????and time that will take for the fementation????

i followed the kit instructions!! 750g grs in total, 375 of sugar and 375 of malt extract.

Don't expect the Brewferm kits to get down to the stated 1.010, necessarily. 3 days constant SG (below say at least 1.020) at the right temperature, and it's likely to be done. I'd guess you'll be around 1.013 in the end, but that's just a guess.

PS - get a cheap turkey baster to remove the sample wort into a test jar, if you haven't already.

Now my beer has 5 days of fermentation at a temperature of 19 º C - 21 º C, and in the beginning there was enough activity in the airlock (normal), now greatly reduced, so can i start mesure the density in the next three days?? not using the tap, of course!! :nono:

then I shall know better when it ready to be bottled!!

once again, thanks for your help, its my first brew, and want it to end in nice beer!! :thumb:

Saúde (cheers in portuguese) :cheers:

I would advise you to leave the lid on until day 8 now, take a reading then, and then again on day 10. Repeat every two days if necessary until the SG is stable. Ignore the airlock altogether. You'll be fine to keep it around 21C or just above, now that the initial activity is out of the way.

One of the easiest mistakes to make is to keep lifting the lid - there's no point, and it just risks infection and off tastes. Good luck with your first brew :thumb:

soooo, i mesure it :wha: i was reading youre advice only now.....gives me 1.013.......i dont now what to think now......doesnt has so much foam, almost nothing......the taste is not bad, is ok, but its not so strong the falvors - maybe this is normal, i dont now..... what should i do????

how can i post a foto??

i am from Portugal!!
IMAG0003_zpsaf27cffc.jpg
[/url][/img]

Latest posts

Back