Preparing to start out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarquin808

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am keen to get started with home brewing after dabbling a couple of times in the early 90s (results were very poor and I got disillusioned). What has inspired me now is that my brother in law has been singing the praises of brewing after using kits from Wilkos and basic equipment, plus I also know a couple of other brewers who have been making belgian style ales etc at home and even use bottled soft water etc (this is a hard water area).
I am interested in brewing a range of styles, starting with a bitter or dark beer in time for Christmas, to share with family and friends, and then trying either pilsner or stout.
I want quality and reliability rather than being obsessed with price/quantity so might go for two-can 3kg kits. Lots of people online seem to recommend Woodforde's (especially Wherry) as a kit for beginners but I am also interested in knowing whether St Peter's or Muntons etc are on the same par. Any advice and encouragement will be welcome!

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I can't answer your question as I don't brew kits but have a browse of the kit review section :thumb:

Personally I would go with the St Peters, Wherry is a great kit, but there was a bad production batch that refused to ferment properly. I've not heard of it happening recently, so I guess Muntons (The kit manufacturer) must have finally used up the badly mashed extract that caused the issue :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

welcome to the forum

Its really a matter of taste what beer kit you choose, however my personal recomendation has to go to St Peters Red Ruby Ale, a 2 can kit that makes a great beer.
Easy to make just following the instructions but taking no notice of the times given in the kit.
Give 10+ days for the ferment rack into a 2nd vessel at a cooler temp for a week then bottle / keg or what have you, and then give it as long as you can before drinking.

Have fun and some great beer.

Latest posts

Back