AG#7 Quite Peculier

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tommorrows brew is an attempt at a Theakston`s Old Peculier clone for my dad`s birthday in april - its a pretty heavy full on brew so will need some good conditioning time in the bottle so i thought i`d better get on with it!!
Recipe is based partly on a G.Wheeler recipe and also a bit taken from Moley`s Slightly Peculier recipe posted back in october - :clap: - thankyou both :thumb:

I`ve made it a bit more bitter than the book as its also a bit more weighty in alcohol ;)

Grain Bill
5100g pale malt/maris otter
300g crystal malt
300g wheat malt
250g chocolate malt
50g black malt

454grams black treacle - added halfway through boil

40g challanger 90min boil 6.4%aa
50g fuggles 90min boil 3.9%aa
30g E.K.Goldings 10min boil 4.6%aa

yeast - nottingham
expected OG:1064
expected FG:1016
ibu:46.9
srm:36.4
expected ABV:6.4%

full brewday post tommorrow :party:

Good luck with it Rick. :cheers:

I think I overdid the hops slightly and the bitterness overpowers the malt. If I repeat that recipe I will reduce my hops by at least one third.

It's still a good drop though :drink:

cheers chaps :thumb: Moley any idea what ibu you ended up with? I can still reduce mine ;)

grain bill weighed out ready for the morning :cool:
IMGP2052.jpg

rickthebrew said:
Moley, any idea what ibu you ended up with? I can still reduce mine ;)
Ain't got a clue, I used 34g Pilgrim (9.46%) and 15g leftover Feeble Fuggles (2.6%) for 90 mins, then 15g Pilgrim, 15g Boadicea (5.6%) for 15 mins.

25 litres @ 1.057 after boil and it went down to 1.010 with a Gervin English Ale yeast (the best my LHBS had to offer).

****!! If I had the chocolate malt I could join in and nail this one in the morning, looks like it's going to be Bathams best to follow on from todays Black Sheep Ale.

Very interested in your brew, keep us all updated.

Good luck my friend :cheers:

I'd say the hops are spot on... :thumb: the hops you are using are not agresive do not reduce :thumb:

:drink:

Cheers bones :thumb: will stick with the plan - can`t wait to brew this one :cool:

Moley, those pilgrim must have been the culprits :whistle:

Moley, those pilgrim must have been the culprits :whistle:[/quote]

PILGRIM Tall 7% - 11% Unusual pleasant lemon/grapefruit citrus aroma distinctively hoppy

woke up to this at 7am this morning! A light scattering of snow and its blinkin cold!!
IMGP2055.jpg

anyway took the missus to work - see you at 5 love ;) so just me and my son for a cold brewday!Got the boiler (old glory) out the shed and stuck her on as we eat weetabix and banana with hotmilk!!!

IMGP2056.jpg
IMGP2057.jpg

will assemble the mash tun inside and then weigh out the hops, i`m gonna post as i brew today for a little bit of a change - may even do the next brewday around the front of the house for a change too! :lol:

Brrrr, its cold enough in our house, never mind brewing outdoors!!
Hope its a good one :)

cheers Franklin :thumb: thought us southerners were soft `eh ;)

so on with the brew, boiler up to 80degrees c, put mash tun together (inside!)
IMGP2059.jpg

then back outdoors with the grain - 15litres of hot water in the tun and left for 5 mins to warm through!
IMGP2060.jpg

strike temp - always a bit of a guess with my brewdays!! (cold water at the ready to adjust ;) )
IMGP2061.jpg

happy with that so dough in and a good stir and leave a min or two before temp check - which was a little high so added half litre of cold water,
IMGP2062.jpg
IMGP2063.jpg
IMGP2066.jpg

mash temp 66.6 :twisted: great stuff !!! OK hops to weigh out next :party:

if only that had been the only problems today :(

sparge went great, snow turned to rain but didn`t really get started, all went well up to bringing the wort up to the boil,
IMGP2073.jpg
IMGP2074.jpg
IMGP2077.jpg
IMGP2078.jpg
IMGP2079.jpg
IMGP2082.jpg

my boiler kept cutting out at around 80degrees - the temp switch on the side just spins around so its a bit unreliable and i must have knocked it - so wort back out from boiler and tried to fix it about three times, first i bypassed the switch and thought this would solve it,

IMGP2101.jpg
IMGP2102.jpg

but it cut out again :( could there be a cutout in the element? thought i`d take a look but don`t really have an idea what i think i`m doing which results in me undoing the elemnt which is now leaking - and it still doesn`t work anyway - so i`ve 30 odd litres of wort to deal with ( which looks and smells lovely :( )

plan b, god knows how this will work out but i`m not binning the brewday :nono:

IMGP2103.jpg

thats about 15litres so i`m gonna do my brew in these pans with all the hops and then reduce the rest of the wort to give me 23litres overall - not much else i can do, hopefully it`ll be ok being a dark malty brew :whistle:

so hops were weighed out earlier
IMGP2070.jpg

will update after i pick the missus up from work and explain why she CAN`T go in the kitchen ;)

thats my first 12hour brewday - hopefully the last!!!

just finished - well the wort is still at 55degrees so will pitch yeast first thing tommorrow, all in all a fun day :lol:
hope to build a new 10gallon boiler from MD`s how to guide this week - last few pics of the brew,
IMGP2105.jpg
IMGP2106.jpg
IMGP2107.jpg

after a day this bad all i want to do is brew again :thumb: this is more than a hobby :lol:

i bet this will taste great :thumb:

meant to say it was around 24litres at 1059 - happy with that if it comes down to 1014ish i`ll hit my target nearly!

Latest posts

Back