Corny Storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dx4100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have three corny kegs and hopefully a fourth coming soon!!

I am planning on having two in the fridge ready to serve. The other ones will be used to hold the next beer that is ready to go and the other maybe for long term ageing.

My question is about the two "storage" kegs. Can I transfer the beer in, give it a shot of CO2 to remove the oxygen, disconnect from CO2 canister and then just leave them until I decide what I want to do with them ? AKA, hook them into the fridge and start force carbonation and serve OR if I choose bottle them with sugar to carbante ?

If so how long could I leave them in the keg for ?

For example one will probably be sat around for up to a month and the other up to a year. Would this be ok ?

As long as they are clean and have a positive pressure inside, nothing un-wanted is going to get into them. Ideal storage temperatures are 5-12c.

Worth giving them a shot of Co2 every now and then to make sure they are pressured up as sometimes they can leak slightly after time.

D :thumb:

the volume above the beer in a full corny is minimal, even under hi pressure it isnt containing much co2 and a sudden drop in temp can encourage the beer to absorb it all reducing the pressure difference to 0 ,, when the seal may fail.. so if leaving off gas for a long period in an ambient temp i would condition in advance even over conditioning may be a wise precaution?

Ok given up on the idea of storing it "flat"... If I want to bottle I will just use one of the many techniques out their to bottle carbonated beer...

My question now is... Is their a pressure level I can set it at which will guarantee the lid will stay sealed regardless of temperature change and then be able to correct this at a later date ?

Fil said:
the volume above the beer in a full corny is minimal, even under hi pressure it isnt containing much co2 and a sudden drop in temp can encourage the beer to absorb it all reducing the pressure difference to 0 ,, when the seal may fail.. so if leaving off gas for a long period in an ambient temp i would condition in advance even over conditioning may be a wise precaution?
I'll +1 on that fella, once that pressure drops your in trouble!!

BB

Ok cheers :thumb:

So will a natural carbonation / heavy force carbonation fair better ?

For my storage kegs I put 50-60 PSI then again after a few days then again after a another week or so if needed. If they have been sitting a long time I may check them again.

This thread prompted my to check kegs I have in my lagering chamber and they still had pressure after 6 weeks, just a little but enough. Added another 60 PSI just to be safe.

to store long term i would condition with about 30psi, topping up daily for a week in the cold ambient temp before off gas storage.

Then knock up an ebay gauge with a 1/4" bsp thread into a 1/4" bsp Female barrel nipple or socket, into a 1/4"bsp-3/8"JG to easily connect upto a short length of beer/gas line into a gas disconnect so u can monitor your keg pressures every so often, especially after a sharp unexpected frost, and top up if needed.

then when it comes to using the kegs they may well be overconditioned, which can easily be rectified by venting the keg on a daily basis till the requiered level of condition is reached.

kegging without temp control is a bit of an art setting the keg pressure to coordinate with the ambient temp to provide a good pour, but its susable and all based on the fact cold beer will absorb more co2 than warm, while kegorator pressure/temp charts are not crucial to ambient temp kegging they do indicate the realtionship and provide a guide
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/view ... =6&t=55498

ok cool...

Would priming with sugar fair any better or would I face the same issues ? Having the keep checking...

dx4100 said:
ok cool...

Would priming with sugar fair any better or would I face the same issues ? Having the keep checking...

Same issues .. and the extra sediment to clear from the keg requiring a longer sitting period after moving too.

Latest posts

Back