New set up need some advice.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bebop1980

Reaction score
Looking to get some shiny equipment and was looking at 100ltr pots for the HLT and Boiler, can you advise what would be a suitable size for a mushtun. I was looking at 80Ltr but was just wanting some direction?

I do think this would be more than enough but could i get away with something smaller?

Cheers

Hi
what brew length are you intending to finish with?
good luck with the shiney stuff i have plastic and it works well for me although your kit will look very good even when just sitting there

steve:cheers:

my kit is made from 3* 60L plastic buckets with lids and my brew length is 9 gallons (a firkin:))

Hi
what brew length are you intending to finish with?
good luck with the shiney stuff i have plastic and it works well for me although your kit will look very good even when just sitting there

steve:cheers:

my kit is made from 3* 60L plastic buckets with lids and my brew length is 9 gallons (a firkin:))

As sledgehammer says, you can't get an answer without telling us what your brewlength will be. Also important is what you intend to brew, as high gravity beers will need more grain (and so more space) than lower gravity ones. I happily make 9 gallons of what I consider 'session beer' (abv around 4%) in a 28 litre coolbox MT. It's pretty full, mind...

Cheers,
Chris

hi airymarey
my grain bill is quite high too
i use 17-18Lb of mo as a base (remembering my brew length id 9 gallons) and then add extras my ale is usually about 5% ABV
i think your efficiency is a lot higher than i ever achieve

steve

hi airymarey
my grain bill is quite high too
i use 17-18Lb of mo as a base (remembering my brew length id 9 gallons) and then add extras my ale is usually about 5% ABV

Soz, Steve, I'm in metric! I make that about 8kg MO. If you add around 20% adjuncts, that's 9.6kg. Mash liquor at 2.5 litres per kilo = 24 litres. I reckon anything at, or north of 50 litres would be fine. 80 Litres would give you plenty of margin.

For a point of reference, I mash 6kg in 15 litres in my 28 litre coolbox MT. It leaves enough headspace to distribute the mash liquor evenly. I aim to keg 9 gallons (42 litres) of finished beer, so my brewlength is 45 litres. That allows for losses during fermentation (to sediment, etc), and lets me fill a couple of bottles. When I suggest a 50+ litre MT would be fine, it's my 'best guesstimate', based on my own mileage.

i think your efficiency is a lot higher than i ever achieve
Yeh, Beer Engine consistently calculates my efficiency at better than 90%!? Don't know how I did that with my home made, bodge-up kit, but no complaints:D

Cheers,
Chris

Edit - I should clarify that I also add around 5% sugar into the boiler. My numbers aren't as improbable as they look!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back