Clibit Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed with my mate today at his house with his new 19L pan on his stove, the pan was a bit of a revelation. It heated up and cooled the beer really quickly, and held the mash temp to 0.5C from the start temp. And is calibrated to half litres. It's a good quality pan with thick steel walls and a heavy base. My pans are thin and cheap.

We made a straight forward 1040 APA with Chinook, Centennial and Cascade. Enjoyable, trouble free brewday, and achieved 82% efficiency with a no sparge method:

Batch Size (L): 13.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.050
Total Hops (g): 42.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.041
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 7.2 (EBC): 14.2
Bitterness (IBU): 31.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 82
Boil Time (Minutes): 75

1.600 kg Maris Otter Malt (78.05%)
0.200 kg Munich I (9.76%)
0.100 kg Caramalt (4.88%)
0.100 kg Torrified Wheat (4.88%)
0.050 kg Crystal 340 EBC Extra Dark (2.44%)

7.0 g Chinook Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
7.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
7.0 g Cascade Leaf (9.2% Alpha) @ Flame out
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (11.5% Alpha) @ Flame out

5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 75 Minutes (Boil)
3.0 g Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Mashed at 67.5°C for 50 Minutes.
Ferment at 20°C with Safale S-04

Mash: We mashed in 13 litres of water and after 50 mins we added 4 litres of water that was 90+C, which only raised temp to 71C, so we put the heat on and raised the temp to 76C (mash out), gave it a good stir and lifted the bag. Drained the bag on a colander over a pan. I didn't expect such a high efficiency. Hopefully the Munich, TW and crystal/caramalt will give this 4%ish beer some body and a good head. Not used S04 for ages cos I was never a big fan, but it's a chance for it to prove me wrong, maybe. I don't remember doing an APA with it.

Do you know where the 19L pot is from?

I just know it came from a supplier in Bolton, not a retailer, I will find out and get back on here. My mate paid about 30 quid wholesale plus delivery, he thinks they retail for about £60.

I just know it came from a supplier in Bolton, not a retailer, I will find out and get back on here. My mate paid about 30 quid wholesale plus delivery, he thinks they retail for about �£60.

That's every one of us in the north west heading to Bolton soon..!!

I would think 19 liters would be a bit small. Mine is 28 liters and for a normal brew, 23 liters, it's tight. Mine being tight might be due to the diameter. It's 33 x 33 cm. rather than narrow and tall. More surface area so I loose more than normal. I loose 2.5 liters per hour.

....Mine being tight might be due to the diameter.....

...I loose 2.5 liters per hour....

ooh-matron-with-text.gif

I think I have too many hidden meanings in things!!! See, even that statement you want to say, "that's what she said!!"
Sorry Clibit, kind of high jacket your post.

Latest posts

Back