FIrst Ever Homebrew Cider - Slightly Strange ALmond Taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miiikeee101

Reaction score
Hello all,

Following the events described in my previous posts a few months ago, I ended up making a strange turbo cider which has been sitting on my Fridge since February in 2L bottles. I am having some friends around this weekend and so I decided to give it a try!

So I took the bottle from the fridge. Some sediment had formed along the side of the bottle where it has been laid down in the fridge, but this did not bother me too much.

I opened the bottle and there was some delicious fizz. The colour, texture, and clarity were all perfect.

I poured my first glass and waited for the bubbles to settle before taking a first mouthful.

And it tasted. Well, not bad actually. Crisp and quite mild, not sweet and not sour. But as the cider lingered in the mouth I noticed a sweet aftertaste that grew stronger and stronger. The aftertaste does not linger for long and seemed to dissipate as I continued drinking. It was not a *bad* or *off* taste persee, but it was definitely unusual. I have heard mention of almond-flavours before, but should I be worried? ANy steps to control this?

I poured a second glass an this seemed much cloudier than the first.

There is only 9L of this stuff with various amounts of priming sugar and some flavourings in the other bottles. This bottle had 4 tsbs of brewing sugar added and perhaps this is the culrpit? I ran out of Tate and Lyle far too fast and so brewing sugar was all I had mid-way through the priming.

Brewing sugar shouldn't make any difference, as for the taste it's probably the yeast or could be the original juice had a funny flavour that's passed over to the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back