Hello from the North West!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geigercntr

Miembro senior
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just a quick one to say hello & introduce myself.

I'm based in the sunny NW and am a complete(ish) novice to homebrewing.

Currently got my first brew bottle conditioning. It's a bay & rosemary ale from Andy Hamilton's book. I've used extract in this case.

I think I'll likely be approaching brewing from a small scale & lo-fi angle (no grainfather for me!), partly for financial & partly for the fun of making small batches on a regular basis and with simple tools.

I'm thinking about attempting to follow the 1 gallon all grain approach as detailed on thekitchn site (link: http://www.thekitchn.com/collection/beerschool-521 ) & will trawl the forums (fora?) here for advice beforehand.

:)

Hi. I have settled on a simple, small batch approach for most of my brews, have you seen the simple AG guide in the "how to guide" forum?

Only had a brief skim of it, but I've a four hour train journey this week, so I'll definitely have a look-see on the way!

Glad to see that small brews are not derided here though (looking at 'small brew' threads on reddit, the 'advice' invariably has a high % of 'brew more' answers...)

I am NW based, in Chester.
I (co)run a homebrew club in Chester too, it's at a pub very close to the station so if it's not too much of a trek for you to travel over you are very welcome to come along! I think there is a similar club in Liverpool itself but I don't know for certain and haven't met them so can't vouch for how friendly they are! :)

DA

I am NW based, in Chester.
I (co)run a homebrew club in Chester too, it's at a pub very close to the station so if it's not too much of a trek for you to travel over you are very welcome to come along! I think there is a similar club in Liverpool itself but I don't know for certain and haven't met them so can't vouch for how friendly they are! :)

DA

Brill, thanks for the invite. Chester is a good spot; the Mrs and I like to go ale chasing in Chester a couple of times a year

Brill, thanks for the invite. Chester is a good spot; the Mrs and I like to go ale chasing in Chester a couple of times a year

Next meeting is Thursday 28th January at Cellar Bar, City Road, Chester (about 400m up the road outside the station)
Usually starts around 7:30pm until last orders!
It'll be a bottle swap/tasting session but don't worry about it if you haven't got anything ready by that point! We usually let first timers off... usually... :twisted:

DA

Originally I'm from near Blackpool, now Old Trafford, whereabouts in Liverpool? Interesting first brew you made there.

In a previous life I quite regularly worked in & around Salford Quays. I'm in the leafy south of Liverpool around Aigburth.

I chose that brew for a few reasons:
- I like the lofi approach
- I have bay & rosemary in my garden
- I like the author & the book (in an ideal world, I'd pretty much have my own small holding somewhere in the sticks!)
- I was a little nervy about messing with hop additions for my 1st brew!

The wort/ale tasted OK when I was checking gravity so fingers crossed for the post condition brew (still rather cloudy...)

Last edited:
Is the book "Brewing Britain: The quest for the perfect pint?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, my missus has got that out from the library. I was hoping to read it myself, but she keeps falling asleep with it and I daresn't try and pry it out of her claws while she's asleep!

Haha! It's a good enough book (well, for a beginner like me anyways), but not sure it's worth getting clawed for ;)

Hi. I have settled on a simple, small batch approach for most of my brews, have you seen the simple AG guide in the "how to guide" forum?

Out of interest, have you had any luck brewing hop heavy ipas in a small scale batch? I've read that there are issues getting the required bitterness with small water volumes (happy to restate my question in a correct subforum if required!)

Latest posts

Back