favorite brewing books?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i will indeed, will put it up in a few months.

will also give that kit a look into, could be the start of something wonderful!

Well the rum infusions didnt even make it to a month, i must say though the raspberry one is amazing if not a little sweet but its not the sort of thing you drink all night, more of a slow sipper. The gooseberry one is nice but tastes slightly medicinal so going to leave it sitting for a few months and see what happens!

happy brewing

This is not a criticism of the op, but this question does come up a lot.

So...mods, how about compiling a sticky thread somewhere in the forum for a brewing bibliography?

Maybe book reviews too?

I've got:
Greg Hughes (great, lots of diverse, practical recipes)
Wheeler BYOBA (not sure which edition, good though a bit limited in styles that suit my taste)
Mikkeler (lovely book, recipes are a bit out ther for my tastes, but that's their style)
Yeast (haven't really got into to it yet and cat remember the author, too lazy to get up and find it)

I think this would be a useful resource for the forum.

So...mods, how about compiling a sticky thread somewhere in the forum for a brewing bibliography?

Maybe book reviews too?

I've got:
Wheeler BYOBA (not sure which edition, good though a bit limited in styles that suit my taste)
Mikkeler (lovely book, recipes are a bit out ther for my tastes, but that's their style)
Yeast (haven't really got into to it yet and cat remember the author, too lazy to get up and find it)

its definitely a good idea for a sticky, and sorry for the repost if its already been done!

and thanks for the input, greg hughes seems to be a must.

My Greg Hughes book came today, top stuff, glad I bought it. Managed to get one on Amazon Marketplace for £7 too, so far better than the usual price.

Are their any UK brewing magazines? I've seen a couple of American ones and an Australian one, but not come across a British one yet. Anyone know of any?

Seen as it has a fair reputation on here, I've ordered the Greg Hughes book too.

I ordered the Greg Hughes book off Amazon,and read it in one night,its ok for recipes,but as a homebrewer for 2 years i found it a little basic,the pages on page 30/31 on hops and 34/35 on yeast informative,but the rest of it,i was looking for something more.

I ordered the Greg Hughes book off Amazon,and read it in one night,its ok for recipes,but as a homebrewer for 2 years i found it a little basic,the pages on page 30/31 on hops and 34/35 on yeast informative,but the rest of it,i was looking for something more.

I think the Greg Hughes book is so well rated because of the recipes, such a good basis for tweaking and lots of different styles included.

I guess if you have been brewing for 2 years you are pretty on top of the basics in terms of processes and ingredients.

I've not got it yet but the John Palmer book is on my list to buy at some point, I think it goes into the processes of brewing in some detail including the science involved, maybe worth a look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0937381888/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My Greg Hughes book as arrived - this is just what I needed, a decent intro to home brew, and lots of recipes to have a crack at.

Maybe book reviews too?

I've got:

Good idea. I have put it to the other mods. Something along the lines of 'The Library' perhaps.....

My Greg Hughes book came today, top stuff, glad I bought it. Managed to get one on Amazon Marketplace for ��£7 too, so far better than the usual price.

Are their any UK brewing magazines? I've seen a couple of American ones and an Australian one, but not come across a British one yet. Anyone know of any?

I looked for UK brewing magazines too. Only found the US ones. BYO looks good and you can get it online. Never took the plunge though.

I looked for UK brewing magazines too. Only found the US ones. BYO looks good and you can get it online. Never took the plunge though.

Aye, I've got a couple of digital issues of Craft Beer and Brewing, which seems decent, but maybe more aimed at micro breweries.

Where in Northumberland are you mate? That's my neck of the woods.

Radical Brewing that is.

Really good book. Makes you think about the whole subject of brewing and being experimental.

I like the suggestion that yeast led to civilisation, can't argue with that :-)

About 3/4 of the way through. Really good book.Makes me think about brewing beers I would never have thought of (or heard of). Seriously contemplating doing one of the stronger brews and leaving it for a year.

Soaking herbs, fruit and spices in vodka and adding at bottling sounds good too.

Good book.

I think the Greg Hughes book is so well rated because of the recipes, such a good basis for tweaking and lots of different styles included.

I guess if you have been brewing for 2 years you are pretty on top of the basics in terms of processes and ingredients.

I've not got it yet but the John Palmer book is on my list to buy at some point, I think it goes into the processes of brewing in some detail including the science involved, maybe worth a look:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Brew-Everything-Right-First/dp/0937381888/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454059453&sr=1-1&keywords=john+palmer
John Palmers video on you tube are interesting,so i will order the book too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radical Brewing and Designing Great Beers, first one for a huge range of beer recipes, second for building your own

The first of those hit my mat today. The other is casually making its way thru the postal system. First leaf thru RB looks promising!

The John Palmer book is brilliant and goes into as much scientific detail as you like. I found a download link very easily from a google search if you want to "TBYB" but it's so good I'd recommend actually buying it (so that the author is suitably rewarded for such a great book) and intend to do so forthwith!

I got the river cottage booze book
There is a recipe for a strong ipa I fancy trying as my first AG

Latest posts

Back