Turbo Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony346

Reaction score
this receipe is from a senior member called fermentall from 2011 :

Started 5g of tc on 7-1-11.
23lt tesco apple juice
2tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp citric acid
1tsp malic acid
1 lemon (cut into 4)
10 chunks crystalised stem ginger (chopped)
0.5kg sugar
1 sachet Harvest SN9 yeast
SG 1054
Made as usual tc,finished fermenting 11-1-11
next day top 3 inches of fv were clearing so primed bottles with 1tsp sugar and bottled.
left in room at 20c for 3 days then moved to workshop 4-8c until today.
opened a bottle tonight and wahay what a great tasting fizzy cider.I can honestly say that it is one of the best ciders i have drunk& i have had quite a few.very citrus & very dry but lovely & refreshing,finished at 992 so about 8.4ish .Will be getting some more on highly rated.

My question is rather than bottle it. How much sugar should I use to pressure barrel it?

Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
sorry matey, I've only every primed mine in the bottle..

sure there's others using alternative though, they'll drift along at some stage :)

Hi.

I'm going to have a crack at brewing this at the weekend, but I'm just wondering if there should be any tannin added?

I'm still new to home brewing, so I'm not sure.

Cheers :)

I still bung some strong tea in, haven't tried one without it so don't know if it makes much difference or not...

One of these days I'll forget though, then I'll find out 😀

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

this receipe is from a senior member called fermentall from 2011 :

Started 5g of tc on 7-1-11.
23lt tesco apple juice
2tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp citric acid
1tsp malic acid
1 lemon (cut into 4)
0.5kg sugar
SG 1054
Made as usual tc,finished fermenting 11-1-11
next day top 3 inches of fv were clearing so primed bottles with 1tsp sugar and bottled.
left in room at 20c for 3 days then moved to workshop 4-8c until today.
opened a bottle tonight and wahay what a great tasting fizzy cider.I can honestly say that it is one of the best ciders i have drunk& i have had quite a few.very citrus & very dry but lovely & refreshing,finished at 992 so about 8.4ish .Will be getting some more on highly rated.

My question is rather than bottle it. How much sugar should I use to pressure barrel it?

Thanks in advanced

I found this useful:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Thanks Roddy - I did wonder about the tannin as this is going to be my 1st TC

Ok - made this up at the weekend (7.5.16):

23lt Vitafit apple juice (from Lidl - it was cheaper!)
2tsp yeast nutrient
2tsp citric acid
1tsp malic acid
1 lemon (cut into 4)
0.5kg sugar
1 cup of very strong black tea

It is now fermenting like crazy! I can actually hear the fizzing inside the FB!!

Is this normal for a turbo cider?

Yeh they can get off to a rapido start but will settle down really quickly after a day or so, so much that you'll think it's stopped ! It'll still be going though. You'll soon a notable change in colour too, goes much lighter as it progresses

What was the SG at the start ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

D'oh!!! SG - I knew I'd forgotten something!!

It has gone noticeably lighter and it's producing quite a good smell too (although my wife would beg to differ!) - much better than I've had from kit cider.

Fermenting has settled right down now. I'll leave it til the weekend then rack it off to another FV, add priming sugar and then bottle.

Really looking forward to sampling this one :)

Just racked this to a 2nd FV for priming and after sampling a bit I have to say I'm a bit disappointed :(

It has a VERY citrus taste and is VERY sharp, to the point of being bitter!

Will it mellow once I've bottled it? Or do I need to be adding something to sweeten it up a bit?

It was fermenting at about 25°C in the spare room last week. I've now bottled it and it's back in there at about 23°C.

I had friends round and let one of them sample a bit and they thought it tasted like vinegar. I'm thinking that I might've failed with this batch :(

It was fermenting at about 25°C in the spare room last week. I've now bottled it and it's back in there at about 23°C.

I had friends round and let one of them sample a bit and they thought it tasted like vinegar. I'm thinking that I might've failed with this batch :(

Bugger, hope not - see how it tastes in a week or so :oops:

Fingers crossed!

I think it could be down to the ginger - it was quite strong and may have overpowered the apple.

I think that until I can perfect my cider brewing I'm going to scale it back and just brew 12 litres instead of 23.

Well a week or so down the line and I had to sample another bottle. I have to say that it has improved quite a lot :) It's still quite sharp and a lot dryer than I usually drink, but with a bit of apple juice to sweeten it, it isn't too shabby.

Going back up north this weekend, so I'll be trying to inflict it on my mates!!

Latest posts

Back