Hi all new and keen to learn

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bang78

Reaction score
Hello all, last saturday made my first beer kit , it was a wilko wheat beer kit how excited was i. During the fermenting the air lock started to draw the foam from the top this was at midnight took it out cleaned it out and replaced it must of done it about 5 times before it settled about 4am. Bottled the beer on Thursday .
Today I done a wilko pear cider for the wife and a wilko golden ale and added 1kg of beer enhancer and 500g of brewing sugar don't no if I have done right from wrong but we will see. Just opened a Berra moretti cheers

Welcome aboard.

A few wee tips that I'm sure someone will mention if I don't...

Patience is one of the key and most frustrating things with this hobby. Your last bottle of a brew is usually the best and has you wishing you had left 10, 20, all the bottles a month or 3. :doh:

The kit instructions are normally very optimistic on time scales (2-3 weeks appears to be the norm for most people, giving the yeast lots of time to work its magic). A hydrometer (if you haven't got one already) is the surest way to check fermentation has finished.

At the end of the day as long as you have something you enjoy drinking it's a success so sorry if any of the above seemed like a lecture.

I've been brewing less than a year and still ask what others may consider daft questions, this is honestly one of the friendliest online communities I have found, best of luck with all the beer and cider ahead of you.

Hello all, last saturday made my first beer kit , it was a wilko wheat beer kit how excited was i. During the fermenting the air lock started to draw the foam from the top this was at midnight took it out cleaned it out and replaced it must of done it about 5 times before it settled about 4am. Bottled the beer on Thursday .
Today I done a wilko pear cider for the wife and a wilko golden ale and added 1kg of beer enhancer and 500g of brewing sugar don't no if I have done right from wrong but we will see. Just opened a Berra moretti cheers
Welcome Bang78.
If you new brew comes through the airlock this time either fit a blow off tube (look this up on this forum) or simply crack the lid slightly open at one place to vent the FV, and place an old towel or similar over that area to mop up any spillage. When the fermentation has died down and had stopped trying to escape, you can reinstate the lock and/or reseal the lid.

Thank you both for your replies yes I agree I have no patience and proberly being to keen. I will look at the blow of tube option because I don't want another late night . I will see how my latest brews go before I try to run before I can walk thanks. I keep my brew in the bedroom at a constant temp 22-24 is this a good temp or to warm ?

Welcome aboard! As for temperatures, it depends on the yeast you use. For kits and the yeast that comes with them I would think 22 - 24 is just a touch too high. 19 is a good one to be aiming for.

Will have to find another spot for the brew to live. Regarding my first brew which I have bottled and put it back in the same place 22-24 . Could I move it to the shed or would that be to cold ?

A lot of folk (me included), go by 2 + 2 + 2. That's 2 weeks in the fermentor, 2 weeks in the bottle or keg at the same temperature, then 2 weeks cooler (10 - 12°c). It helps the beer carbonate, and then clear.

I have always loved the idea of brewing my own beer now I started and obviously jumped the gun a bit less speed more haste. I love beer and brewing it I would like to do it right and will take on board your advise and suggestions. I will see how my brews go and take it more steady. Is there a idiots guide to brewing beer ? Will take a look at the blow off tube guide thanks

I've done the wilko wheat kit, it was lovely drop, will add a bit of dextrose next time I make it I think. If you let it sit till the summer it will be amazing but I drank mine in about 3 weeks it was so nice, make sure you tip the yeast into your glass, it's a wheat so should be cloudy.

I love wheat beer looking forward to it myself going to take the advise and leave it 2 weeks bottled at room temp then 2 weeks at a cooler temp. I done a brew of Wilkos golden ale added enhancer and extra sugar but not sure if that was the right think to do

I was very impressed with it, I'd only add the dextrose next time because it was so tasty I'd drink 7-10 bottles no problem but then mine came out less than 4% vol

When I done the wheat brew I forgot to test to gravity (Pratt to excited) so will not be able to find out the abv. It's killing me just looking at them little brown bottles not being able to touch them

Latest posts

Back