Raspberry Cider (with pilsn yeast)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiseant

Reaction score
I've bottling my first brew from a Brewferm Pilsn, collected the yeast and helped it grow in a bit of water with sugar and zinc

So i'll give a try to a WOW cider :
6L apple juice
250ml raspberry sirup
3L boiled water
2 lemons
(a glass of grapefruit that wasn't asking for anything but was left in a forgotten bottle in the bottom of the fridge)
And my "starter" yeast. Oh, yeah, and a cup of tea :D

My FV is still not bubbling, but I definitively think it's not airtight enough, because the next day, the liquid was a bit fizzy and there was a sort of krausen at the top. So I think it's working anyway

It started at 1.042 (but I mesured it after putting the yeast and all the water of the starter)

I'll give it a week and see how it goes.

It has been in FV for a week now.
I checked regurlarly and saw a nice foamy top (yeast and lemon) during this week, now there's just some chunk of lemon left up there.
It drastically changed taste at mid week, turning from a sweety thing into a real cider-ish beverage, I think it'll turn out ok :grin:
I'm thinking about racking it this afternoon (collect the yeast again, next in line is ginger beer), take a gravity reading and let it finish fermentation for another week.

I'll prime it with more strawberry sirup (did I mention I crave for this thing ?)

EDIT : it's now at 1.014 (almost 1.013). Transferred into a smaller vessel for the rest of the week, more discreet in the already filled kitchen

I tasted it after 3 week in bottle, primed with 5gr/L : it's not bad, but absolutely no bubbles in sight. Either I kept it in a place too cold, or I did something wrong while priming. Maybe both. Anyway, it has a pleasant taste so I'll leave it as it is : if it need more warmth to carbonate, well, spring will help with that, I'll not risk opening bottles and add more sugar.

I tasted it after 3 week in bottle, primed with 5gr/L : it's not bad, but absolutely no bubbles in sight. Either I kept it in a place too cold, or I did something wrong while priming. Maybe both. Anyway, it has a pleasant taste so I'll leave it as it is : if it need more warmth to carbonate, well, spring will help with that, I'll not risk opening bottles and add more sugar.

nice work !

I prime with a little more sugar than than and sometimes get variable results, ie the last one I primed with about 6.5g of sugar per 500ml bottle and it wasn't particular fizzy, more like slightly sparkling.... all taste good when they're cold though :drink:

Latest posts

Back